Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

RedSpade37 t1_isps33h wrote

See, I tried that, but none of the places actually hired me, even though the interviews seemingly went well.

Unfortunately, I have Elher-Danlos, and a security style job probably wouldn't be ideal, but in some instances, it could be, like the cliché "guard watches a dozen security cameras" job. I would probably do okay being that kind of security guard.

Thanks for reminding me that this a possibility, though. I can always try again.

Edit: Also, yeah, I have been nightshift all my life, and it would be amazing, in those certain scenarios.

[deleted] t1_isqrgt6 wrote

I'm iffy on security jobs. If you're like a mall security guard or a security guard at a hotel (something where everything is well lit, safe overall, well maintained, maybe has multiple guards each shift, and the security work is reliable/definitely security guard only - not quasi-janitor/quasi parking lot maintenance/etc.) it's probably fine.

One of my cousins however (who is now a cop) got hired as an overnight security guy when he was real young and you know what his job was? Be parked in a pitch-black rural mining area entrance, in a very rural area, with a shotgun and a cellphone. This was like in the last decade. He was maybe 20. No training beyond that.

So he was supposed to just sit in his vehicle all night with that as his only safe spot in the middle of nowhere with a gun and a cellphone, all by himself.

That is a terrible security job. If it had been two people on the shift, that would have been different perhaps. Still totally unsafe to be walking in the dark near job site/mine shaft/etc. though. But for these low pay/sketchy security jobs, I'd say no way instantly.

CompetitiveConstant0 t1_it0af4t wrote

Security and police are different. Security isn't supposed to intervene they're supposed to "observe and report" at least that's what my friend in security told me. Might be different because we live in a city not a rural place.

CompetitiveConstant0 t1_it0al1q wrote

If you don't like that there is also remote data entry jobs it's kinda monotonous but there are ways to automate it, where you'll just have to check the end result

RedSpade37 t1_it0dtkv wrote

I would love something like that! I am way better with a computer than I am with a forklift! Where can I learn more?