Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BunnyBunnyBuns t1_isqa97o wrote

It depends on the role you have. Being an engineer is stressful! But other roles are less stressful. A role like a solutions engineer requires the technical knowledge but also the ability to easily present & talk to other people. In that role your day isn't necessarily 8 hours. Maybe you have 2 hour-long demos, an hour or two of prep and notes, maybe another hour meeting (all done by Zoom in your house) and you're done for the day. Add in the fact that nobody's up your ass with constant needs and demands like they are in admin or customer service.

You explain your software, show your customer how to enable the features they need for their use case, and then answer any follow up questions. You are a RESOURCE that everyone is thrilled to see.

[deleted] t1_isqpztb wrote

>Can you elaborate more on your job? I see posts like this making tech seem like a dream but never any specific examples or proof. I have no idea how to get started in it and I'm starting to think it's a joke

I was forced years ago (about ~13 years ago) to switch fields entirely to a backup career -- IT support. I blame the Great Recession, but also capitalism in general and the near overnight collapse of print-based marketing in the mid/late 00s. While I was saddened by my inability to earn a decent, reliable income in my previous field that I was extremely good at, IT (and subsequently basic programming work using PHP+MySQL [database]) has allowed me to have reliable jobs that have provided where so many other fields have not.

I'm in my 40s now, and made this pivot in my early 30s, so it can be done. I am by no means a great programmer. On a scale of 1-10 I am a 4, but I can do enough with databases and PHP+HTML coding to make interactive website-based programs (that can run locally, on a user's computer, w/o need for the internet) to essentially automate many data-heavy, manual-entry tasks.

Not all IT jobs are good though - I've had several where I am looked down upon and treated like a cog in the machine, and valued very little. However, I have had multiple jobs over the past 13 years where I have been able to outright work remotely, because ultimately my jobs (at these remote points) were more about delivering X on Y basis/schedule rather than being busy+available every second of the day.

In the IT jobs where I was mistreated/micromanaged, there was no room for anything - I was either a generic tech support person behind the emails or a voice behind the tech support line phoneline.

I'm unsure if I could cut it as a genuine programmer. I never received the proper training in a 4 yr or higher Computer Science program. I have picked up a good amount and understand the concepts behind many things programming-wise, but age 35 onward I sorta lost most ambition and desire to continue learning -- afterall, I had already done this once before and had to abandon my career.

So I'm not a software engineer per se -- I'm more of a generic IT support guy (understand how computers/operating systems work -- I dislike server support though) and basic programmer (I don't mess with stuff beyond PHP+MySQL, though I could if necessary I guess) and decent data analyst (I can do reporting, work with tables of sales/order/inventory data, etc.).

>I have no idea how to get started in it

You at a minimum have to understand how a computer works - not every physical aspect of it, but the concept of the operating system, programs, installing programs+drivers, what users expect out of software interactions, how dumb users can be when interacting with programs and data, etc. If you dislike this or just don't get it, anything IT support related or programming related is utterly pointless.

For example, I view cars as an appliance that get me from point A to B. I have no desire to understand horsepower or electrical systems or how the engine or brake lines work or anything beyond oil changes, filling gas, tire replacement, checking fluid/air. Can I use a car? yes. Could I use a car to do another job? yes. Should I ever consider being a mechanic or even oil change serviceman? NO.

Regarding education, I got a cheapo community college AAS in Computer Science ~12 years ago and an equally cheapo online Bachelors ~10 years ago in Information Technology. I didn't even need the BS in IT really as online teaching for me was "meh" but it helped in getting past HR departments a few times.

>"requires the technical knowledge but also the ability to easily present & talk to other people."

The best IT/coding jobs I've had are ones where I only have to talk with maybe a half dozen people at most and then beyond them saying the bare minimum needed each week or month, they largely leave you alone to get from here to there. The worst IT jobs I've had are ones where I have to interact with people frequently each and every day -- the worst ones are via phone-based calling. Strangely enough, if you get a tech job where face to face interactions are the main method of talking, even if you do have to interact with them, it isn't so bad. For me, I've noticed the worst tech jobs are where most communication is strictly done via email/messaging apps and is frequent each day. It dehumanizes you.

>"You are a RESOURCE that everyone is thrilled to see."

Over the past 13 years I've only kept certain jobs because of my basic PHP+MySQL abilities - I've created little programs or utilities that outright make other people's jobs easier. I would advise you to pick up something similar and if you like a certain job and wish to keep it, find a way to slip in some sort of custom script for the HR department or an important manager that cuts down a task they do in real, measurable ways. It's not guaranteed job security, but they'll see if you make their job easier, you may make others' jobs easier, and reduce stress/complexity overall. And you don't even have to be an expert or find a solution for everything - I frequently say "I don't know or I can't probably do that, but I'll look into it." But most people are excited by even the smallest programming things, and they can be ridiculously simple. But they may give you a bit of security and flexibility overall.

Ch5se t1_isrwxy2 wrote

Bro that was deep ! Thanks !

youre_not_ero t1_isshvlp wrote

Core engineering jobs are no joke. I've met my fair share of burnt out software engineers, that it almost seems like a rite of passage.

There are some roles that are less demanding, some more, though nothing can be generalised.

wythehippy t1_istmlh0 wrote

Wow, thank you for the detailed reply. I'm 26, had a career in construction and realized it wasn't for me. I've always been a little nerdy with tech just with video games and stuff but never hopped into it as a profession.

I don't care about the big money people always talk about with tech all I want is decent benefits and pay but most importantly work life balance. I wouldn't mind coming in a few days. I'm learning I just can't do full time, at work jobs. Data analyst seems like what would fit me best and I've been planning on looking into SQL

mootfoot t1_issh9ak wrote

Solutions engineer in my experience IS customer support, at a high level. My jobs in that area have always come with a pile of 500 tickets underneath the day to day.

IMO being a software engineer is less stressful, provided you work fast when you do work

BunnyBunnyBuns t1_istc8u2 wrote

Fair enough. That's not my experience, but, every company has their own requirements for the role. Some SEs are required to do a lot more than others. Like any role, vet the company and the role before accepting.

mootfoot t1_istqjvb wrote

True that, and for reference my industry is healthcare software, so software moves slow and missed issues can mean patients get harmed at industrial scale... Could easily see solution engineer roles being more laid back in industries that don't have lives on the line.

Just goes to show how title is borderline meaningless in some cases. I've seen "developer" roles where people don't need to know how to read code and "engineer" titles where the only thing being engineered is how to tactfully tell a user they pressed the wrong button.

+1 to your advice, vet all potential jobs/companies because they have a lot of leeway to paint a picture!

BunnyBunnyBuns t1_istwa18 wrote

I was in the Healthcare industry before I pivoted to tech and you're right. It is slow and painful to get things done and there's no room for error because it's people's lives. Makes sense to me that the pressure is much higher in that role! Are you working with Eric?