Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

APiousCultist t1_jdtdnz0 wrote

My dog starts to smack me with its paw if I stop prematurely. Don't think it'd be as funny if it was a massive wolf.

RebootDataChips t1_jdvlouk wrote

When I had my huskies if I stopped petting one that seemed to be the sign that another could get petted. And heavens to Betsy I have two hands which meant three dogs must be petted! Somehow anyways…

Electrical-Act-7170 t1_jdw61j6 wrote

It's not funny when it's a dog, either.

Be the Alpha.

−4

APiousCultist t1_jdwey12 wrote

Alpha males do not apply to natural wolf hierarchies, let alone domesticated dogs. If you're out there trying to 'dominate' your pet at every time, expect weird behaviour from your confused, unhappy animal that expects to be intimidated every time it tries to engage in social play behaviour. The fuck. These are animals selectively bred for thousands of years to interact well with human owners anyway.

ActuallyWorthless t1_jdtim9g wrote

It's weird to refer to your dog as it.

−39

APiousCultist t1_jdtn71n wrote

"It" meant "the situation of being hit by an animal for not petting it", not my dog.

ActuallyWorthless t1_jdtnqx5 wrote

"Its paw"

And don't get me wrong, I'd say it if it were a dog whose gender I didn't know. Just thought it was odd, that's all.

−25

Bowling_pins_10 t1_jdu5qep wrote

I don't think there's anything wrong with referring to an animal as "it". I call humans "it" too sometimes because I hate them.

ActuallyWorthless t1_jdu6g2n wrote

Yeah I mean it's fine. With my dog I'd say "her paw" rather than "its paw." Apparently I'm the only one. Semantics really.

−14

Eecka t1_jduqh5k wrote

I think technically speaking 'it' is always grammatically correct, but 'he'/'she' is also okay to use especially for a pet.

Personally I tend to use he/she as well (when I happen to discuss my dog in English, which isn't too common as a non-native speaker)

1Admr1 t1_jdw7u8u wrote

Who cares about misgendering a freaking dog 💀