Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

woutomatic OP t1_jcugksw wrote

IRS Facility Processes Tax Returns A Week Before Filing Deadline
COVINGTON, KY - APRIL 8: Kathleen Malone works on tax returns at the Cincinnati Internal Revenue Service Center April 8, 2005 in Covington, Kentucky. The tax filing deadline is a week away. (Photo by Mike Simons/Getty Images)

WeNeedToTalkAboutMe t1_jcvqy1k wrote

I hope she got a nice big check from A24.

pseudocultist t1_jcvthli wrote

Alas. I doubt anyone got a check, not her or Mike Simons or Getty. If they'd have used the photo, they'd have had to pay as it's clearly copyrighted. But they copied her outfit, which itself I doubt she thought to trademark that day. So, they were well within their rights to mimic this down to even the jewelry and hairstyle.

They're all free to ride the movie's publicity tho, using the original outfit or this photo.

IF this lady is still around, and IF that's a well known look for her, and IF this movie causes her problems because they copied her look, then she could claim they slandered her character by making her do all of these things on screen, but that'd be a flimsy lawsuit without obvious damages, and this lady is probably not um, making any claims.

NoKids__3Money t1_jcw2wzz wrote

Every day I trademark my outfit just in case.

TigerHijinks t1_jcyke5m wrote

If I wear the same thing everyday, is that automatic? Dis on the Zuck all you want, having nothing but grey t-shirts in your closet takes all the effort out of deciding what to wear. Leaves more time for figuring out which 10k employees to dump this week.

NoKids__3Money t1_jcykrdb wrote

He has definitely trademarked the creepy reptilian rich guy that’s for sure

AsanoSokato t1_jcw2qz7 wrote

Just because you don't have to doesn't mean you can't.

rabbitwonker t1_jcwkocy wrote

“I don’t have, and have never had, hot dog fingers!“

jaredearle t1_jcy69iq wrote

This isn't entirely accurate. For a start, it's libel, not slander if it's published. Also, you can't trademark an outfit broadly enough to make that work.

ScribblesandPuke t1_jcx5zpo wrote

There's absolutely no reason she would. Inspiring a piece of art doesn't mean you get paid for it. Everything a creator makes gets inspiration from somewhere, if they had to pay every inspiration they wouldn't have any money left. It would completely put a damper on all manner of art.

For example, you wouldn't have all the songs ever written about exes and failed relationships because that would mean having to pay your exes! Taylor Swift would be up shit's creek.

Liefx t1_jcx8gar wrote

Right but if her life turned to shit because people started yelling at her in the streets because of this movie, theres reasonable expectation for the people that caused it to help out in some form.

ScribblesandPuke t1_jcyzacc wrote

That makes no sense in several different ways. First of all, that's unlikely to happen. Secondly, she can solve that problem by just not wearing that outfit. At most she could be due a payment equal to the cost of a couple sweaters.

I had medium length hair and wore round glasses for a time, and during that time someone in a pub once called me Harry Potter. Watch out JK Rowling, my lawyers will be in touch!

Liefx t1_jd22k9c wrote

> At most she could be due a payment equal to the cost of a couple sweaters.

Right, and that's reasonable expectation to help someone you caused trouble. Granted you're still asking someone to change their lifestyle because you ruined their previous one.

>I had medium length hair and wore round glasses for a time, and during that time someone in a pub once called me Harry Potter.

That's not even close to equivalent. That character existed before you dressed like that and Harry was designed to be a hero.

The point is: If you had a direct negative impact on someone's life, you should at least try to help them recover. It's how we get along. No one here is talking American-style $1 million lawsuits.

I am going to assume she was fine and most people in her world haven't even heard of the movie, the discussion was: what if.

gaybillcosby t1_jcvwacp wrote

Oh damn. They recently tore down that IRS building but I live like a 5 minute walk from it.