Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SevenSulkySerbs t1_j8sl2lc wrote

Out of curiosity, why does Trace seem to be so highly rated?

I haven't really been impressed by their beers and they're awfully expensive for being rather simple styles. Location is interesting, but still falls short compared to others IMO.

Russlethud t1_j8slfce wrote

I like their beer, but for me it’s more about the location. Nice indoor and outdoor seating, coffee in the morning. Plus they put on a lot of cool events. It’s close to me so I may be biased due to proximity, but it’s one of my go-to spots.

SevenSulkySerbs t1_j8sn2gy wrote

Figured it mostly boiled down to location for folks, but wasn't sure if there was something more. Definitely not a fan of their music nights given zero acoustic or volume control which makes it near impossible to hold a conversation.

As someone having to travel to get there, I would personally put it towards the bottom of my list. Wasn't a fan of the beers I tried there, and $7-8 for not even a full pint of beer is quite ridiculous

Russlethud t1_j8snm9o wrote

Yeah I normally like going in the afternoons when it’s a little more chill. And it seems like it’s always the sours and stouts that are expensive for smaller pours.. I usually stick to the lagers and pilsners there. Or a full 16oz pour of an IPA.

SevenSulkySerbs t1_j8sp8z4 wrote

that's what's weird to me, is because it's some pretty simple styles that are being charged that much for only 11 oz according to their own website.

Dortmunder style is supposed to be cheap and simple to brew which is why they don't typically taste that great. I can't for the life of me figure out why they're treating it as some specialty brew that should cost a small fortune. When it comes to these German brews, they've really got it ass-backwards.

I just don't see any reason (other than they're trying to pass off their absurd rent and utility costs onto the customer) for charging $7-8 per drink when there's nothing really there to justify it (at least when it comes to your average drink that isn't high ABV or is a truly special brew). Their to-go prices seem to be fair, but am just baffled by how much extra they charge simply to be there in person.

Russlethud t1_j8svm1v wrote

Something I’ve noticed is that Trace runs expensive for drinks in-person, but reasonable for cans to go. Two Frays draft beers are on average more reasonable, but their to go prices are insane. Just comparing the two spots based on proximity to each other.