Submitted by enemy_of_your_enema t3_11cs32r in pittsburgh

Does anyone know somewhere around Pittsburgh that sharpens reel lawnmower blades? I know there are a bunch of lawnmower repair services, but it seems like they are more geared toward repairing the motor (which my mower doesn't have) rather than sharpening the blades.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Aggravating_Foot_528 t1_ja4q0hq wrote

20 years ago I used to take mine to a little hardware store on 8th Ave in homestead. I don't think they're still there, but call really tiny hardware stores near you as they probably do it or know somebody that does it. Or you may also want to call somebody that does knife sharpening.

pol-treidum t1_ja4tgov wrote

Dan @ Atomic Celt Bladeworks might be able to.

JohnBakedBoy t1_ja5avp0 wrote

I would inquire with any hardware store that sells lawn care equipment. Something like an Ace. They either do it or will recommend you someone who does.

PittFall09 t1_ja5b6bo wrote

J&D Lawn and Tractor on 19 in Wexford.

isthatwhathappened t1_ja5h2i6 wrote

Why don’t you just buy a new blade? It has to be less of a frustration and, at least for my mower, cheaper.

−2

the_zechman t1_ja5uqi7 wrote

I used to get mine sharpened at T&M Hardware (Do It Best) in Bellevue

mmmmkyeah t1_ja5wqo1 wrote

Probably not as good as getting them sharpened, but you can also buy a kit that comes with some paste and a crank that you can use to sharpen them at home. Works well on my push mower.

SamPost t1_ja70in0 wrote

Easy to do yourself. Just need some honing grit from Amazon.

In a pinch I have also just run a file over the blades and then fine-tuned the spacing adjustment. The blades will self-sharpen the last little bit just fine. Just wear some gloves while you file as it is easy enough to cut yourself.