Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mynamemightbealan t1_j9gitj1 wrote

It is kind of odd that we don't have any locally owned high end steakhouses. It really seems like it would thrive in the Pittsburgh market. The more expensive places that are popular here tend to be food over ambience like gastropub type places where people don't feel the need to dress up. Steakhouses seem to fall in line to with that niche

Gnarlsaurus_Sketch t1_j9gjlgu wrote

Napa Prime is great, but it's well outside of the city in Wexford. Cioppino and Alla Famiglia come close in terms of vibes, but neither has the variety of cuts you expect at a good steakhouse. That said, both are worth visiting regardless.

Edit: I'm going to add Meat and Potatoes to the "not a steakhouse, but go for steak anyways" category.

PrudentFerret456 t1_j9hboa4 wrote

Meat & Potatoes?

Gnarlsaurus_Sketch t1_j9hd4i9 wrote

It isn't really a steakhouse (they don't have enough different cuts of steak on the menu). That said, the steaks and sides they do offer are great.

More of a gastropub feel IMO. Love that place.

PGHxplant t1_j9gwesi wrote

This makes me so sad. Partner and I have a tradition of a birthday dinner wherever the celebrant wants. I was so in the mood for a steakhouse this year, but reasonable Uber/Lyft distance was a must, ruling out Napa Prime. Every steak place in or around downtown just gives me the super pretentious chain-y more money than class vibe.

Gnarlsaurus_Sketch t1_j9hczkt wrote

Meat and Potatoes is probably your best bet. They don't have the selection of a true steakhouse, but the tomahawk ribeye and steak frites there are amazing

CasualFriday11 t1_j9mx80b wrote

Gaucho? Though I've heard it's gone downhill since it moved.