Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

PGHxplant t1_jd85n0a wrote

Can only imagine Bakery Square Karen's meltdown if she'd gone to Bloomfield instead...

JustTryingMyBestWPA t1_jd915fd wrote

Maybe she tried to go to Bloomfield first, and it ended poorly for her, and that's why she showed up at Bakery Square in a shitty mood.

[deleted] t1_jd9k1c6 wrote

[deleted]

Paczilla2 OP t1_jd9les2 wrote

I think everyone should join the picket line.

CyrixTraxx t1_jda60r5 wrote

Nah some of us have jobs.

−17

Paczilla2 OP t1_jda6r2c wrote

So do the people on strike. Wouldn’t you want people to join your strike?

CyrixTraxx t1_jdadx1p wrote

So I’m supposed to stop working and providing for my family to sit in a line to show support for someone?? Can’t really understand that logic. But each their own.

−13

Paczilla2 OP t1_jdaikb9 wrote

I mean you can support striking workers in other of ways that doesn’t invoke going to the actual picket.

Smart-Loss-9277 t1_jdb8de0 wrote

You literally said everyone should join the picket line….

[deleted] t1_jdc37dx wrote

I’m going to assume that was hyperbole lol

Paczilla2 OP t1_jdcaoq4 wrote

If you could, sure, I think you should do it. If not, I think people should support the people in their community who strike in other ways like spreading awareness, maybe donating to a strike fund, honking a horn when you go by, something, anything. Working people in this country are fucked in so many ways, we all need to support each other because it seems like each other is all we really have.

Current-Pianist1991 t1_jdbgvbb wrote

Yes and then they said there are other ways to support a picket line. You're allowed to say multiple things, crazy I know. Saying I want a million dollars, and then later saying I want a yacht, doesn't mean I no longer want the million dollars. I wish people would get off of the "AHA BUT YOU SAID A DIFFERENT THING AFTERWARDS, SO IT CANCELS OUT 🤓" mindset. Also, saying everyone should join a picket line is obvious hyperbole, its something you would've learned about in middle school. They're obviously showing support for the strikers and encouraging other people to show support. If I have a bad day at work, and say "I wish everyone would leave me alone", doesn't mean I want everyone in the world to magically stop interacting with me. Do better

soonitwillbcold t1_jddkp8b wrote

How do you feel about the federal government preventing RWU from striking? Does that make President Biden/ Congress Union Busters?

[deleted] t1_jddpbkq wrote

[deleted]

soonitwillbcold t1_jddtzk1 wrote

I completely agree, it's not a red or blue thing it's absolutely purple. Every once in awhile there's a strong union presence in a particular place that has a little more influence than others but it's rare and hyper local. I choose the RWU example because there appears to be a clear linkage between rail executives and elected officials coordinating against the interest of organized labor. It being such a large and important union I feel that other people interested in organized labor movements should be aware of how RWU was sidelined and create more multidisciplinary alliances with other unions which was the norm when they had more power.

oldschoolskater t1_jd9rpsg wrote

Why go to Starbucks? Spend your money at small locally owned coffee shops. They need the business.

mikmatthau t1_jda0h3c wrote

yes.... and also support those trying to unionize!

keenish27 t1_jda8qpf wrote

Because a locally owned shop is a gamble if you aren’t familiar with them and can also be just as expensive.

Starbucks is the Olive Garden of coffee. It’s not the best but it is extremely consistent and I know what I’m getting no matter what Starbucks I go to.

I go there because I know exactly what to expect.

iwifia t1_jdaeg3o wrote

I order from small shops around the country and brew my own. It's amazing. Fuck Starbucks.

Ones-Zeroes t1_jdb7utw wrote

And there are so many extremely good local shops too, I have no idea why you'd ever prefer Starbucks outside of convenience. De Fer, Black Forge Coffee, Rock n Joe, Nicholas Coffee, Yinz Coffee, Creative Coffee & Supply, Orbis Caffe, Sally Ann's coffee bar... all of these kick Starbucks to the curb, and those are just some of the bigger name alternatives!

heili t1_jdd4hmt wrote

Do you know of any local suppliers of green (as in not roasted) coffee beans?

Ones-Zeroes t1_jdef0us wrote

Unfortunately I don't, but I think a few places around here roast their own beans - could always ask where they get their stuff!

californiadamn t1_jdb7m16 wrote

I have so much faith in our future generations that will only support locally owned small businesses over chains. They are bankrupting malls, chains and spending their money locally.

You are really making a difference and are appreciated!

Keep fighting! Be local and make local goods your top priority

keenish27 t1_jdd5ikt wrote

I find this concept so odd. I get the support local shops but this concept breaks down if you think further ahead.

The goal of a business is to make money and once you make enough you tend to open more locations to make more money. Eventually you become the chain that then people say you shouldn’t shop at.

I’m not saying you are right or wrong. Just more of a thought I had to get out.

soonitwillbcold t1_jddln9c wrote

Entrepreneurship Vs corporatization. Growth doesn't necessarily mean more locations unless it's a B2C company because sq ft directly impacts how much revenue you generate.

californiadamn t1_jdfl7c5 wrote

What you are describing is capitalism.

There are several small businesses that just want to provide livable means for themselves and their employees with a work/ life balance for all. They don’t want to dominate the world, they just want a good life and to give a service back to their community. In the meantime. They are also sourcing as many as possible of their resources from other local farms and companies that also employ local people.

This is how the world should work and capitalism has destroyed that through corporate entities taking advantage of anyone below them/ getting tax breaks. There is a change going on. Corporations are failing and the local movement of putting money directly back into locals hands is happening.

Dev_hour86 t1_jdb45nf wrote

California Starbucks worker with Pittsburgh ties here.....

Solidarity with Yinz.

BoomRoasted412 t1_jdcq47b wrote

Imagine living in Bloomfield and blowing off locally owned coffee shops for Starbucks. Smh

soonitwillbcold t1_jddlu1i wrote

I just wish there were better chains, Gloria Jean's needs one or two, a Bigby's or Carribou. I enjoy all of these more than St arbz

Cryptic_Skies t1_jde41a1 wrote

Fuck that place. When they first opened years ago, they refused to hire anyone from the neighborhood because they wanted to attract a different set of clientele.

Sunglassesatnight81 t1_jd9lr80 wrote

I can’t imagine Going on strike for a good paying job with with no college requirement ,flexible hours and part time benefits

−35

Lipglossandletdown t1_jd9txe5 wrote

I like it. Every worker should be treated fairly and with dignity at work. I also think unionizing jobs like this, that we don't typically think as needing a union, drives home the point to other professions, like RNs - bc if a barista is organizing to demand a better workplace, why shouldn't RNs? Or EMTs? And so on down the line.

Paczilla2 OP t1_jd9mdei wrote

Why do you think people strike exactly?

[deleted] t1_jd9o7am wrote

[deleted]

myhouseisabanana t1_jd9p1qe wrote

Does starbucks not pay better than other coffee shops? I was under the impression that they did and also offered healthcare but maybe I'm mistaken.

Paczilla2 OP t1_jd9q2ah wrote

Theirs infinite reasons to strike, pay and benefits are only ever part of a working persons days, why should it be the only reasons to strike?

BurghPuppies t1_jda4s8m wrote

Not going to downvote you because that is one valid perspective. The other perspective is from those people who’ve worked there for years and are still not making a living wage, as well as those who’ve been fired/ had their stores closed for conversations about unions.

arguchik t1_jdc48qv wrote

And whose fault is it if a store closes because workers dare to talk about unionizing? The workers who want to earn a living wage? Or billionaire Howard Schultz, who owns the company and values paying himself and his stockholders above paying his workers a living wage?

BurghPuppies t1_jdc5byz wrote

Oh, absolutely Schultz. I’m not defending him at all. Solidly with the workers on this.