Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mikeyHustle t1_itda48x wrote

I am absolutely living for these other comments that are basically "It was just like these other dead stores you probably don't know."

But yeah, department store. Clothes, housewares, jewelry. Like if you went back in time to before Target sold food, and if people respected the clothing. And add jewelry.

ShoppinInDa412 t1_itdmxg8 wrote

Also back when the store employees actually knew their shit and cared about the job because they were paid a decent wage.

SWPenn t1_iteaoas wrote

You got to know the sales people because it was their career and they stayed for years. Each department was staffed with multiple sales people who helped you pick out what you wanted. They were knowledgeable about everything they sold and would call when something came in that they thought you might like.

hydrospanner t1_itgp3g2 wrote

>and would call when something came in that they thought you might like.

Really?

​

While I'm sure they'd stop if you asked them to, that just seems like "ending up on some company's mailing list" of the pre-internet age.

colawars t1_itgyqmy wrote

We did this at Kaufmann's when I worked there in the early 2000's.

rickrowld t1_itdzqb5 wrote

Christ. Enough of this. People care when they feel valued.

−16

mikeyHustle t1_ite7gug wrote

I think that's exactly what they were saying. Unless you're implying you can care when you feel valued but not paid, but I don't think so.

44problems t1_ith2ef7 wrote

It makes sense. Target was a discount version of a Minneapolis department store called Dayton's. Another that was eventually eaten up by Macy's.