Submitted by ActorWriter24 t3_xtlq3j in pittsburgh

Hi everyone! My wife just relocated to Pittsburgh for a job the next 9 months. We drove here on I-76 and was thinking of driving back to NY and taking I-80? Clearly not from around here. Which is better route?

Looking for an easy drive back. I have anxiety so, any crazy roads or mountains freak me out ha.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

KSMO t1_iqqhjoi wrote

Make sure to use GPS so you don’t get Lost in Yonkers

lam3ass t1_iqql0u7 wrote

Moved here from NYC(not Yonkers, but Scarsdale) GPS will be the same or longer, however it’s actually less time on 80. On the turnpike the speed limit is 70, while 80 has sections of 50,55,60 and 65, but I usually go a little faster, shortening the trip. One draw back is that 80 is a big truck route, and two lanes for big portions. Also, no service stations, truck stops at exits( easy off and on though) or stops with just a bathroom and vending machines. I’ve done 7-8 times since moving here, I usually take 80 to NYC and turnpike on the way back to Pittsburgh.

KentuckYSnow t1_iqqog9p wrote

The limit drops to 65 in luzerne and they love to have speed traps there. Also near lock Haven if you take 28 to 80.

CarpeDeez t1_iqqs5u0 wrote

Even if it’s a little bit slower I would take 80 to avoid the tolls. PA turnpike is the most expensive toll road in the country.

KentuckYSnow t1_iqqocdn wrote

22/99/80. The turnpike goes out of the way and costs a fortune

AnewENTity t1_iqqq5os wrote

It’s also constant speed traps right now for the work zones. Even when it’s jersey barriers and no one working

KentuckYSnow t1_iqswexv wrote

Waze is basically more effective than radar. Esp with those driverless cars throwing out false positives for their navigation. I haven't seen a cop car that wasn't marked already, although there were quite a few spots that were marked where the cop had already gone. Luzerne county is the worst, bc they drop the 70 down to 65 and then set the trap right there so they can get you at a higher fine/point value. At this point, the highway is also divided by woods, giving them a nice spot to hide in either direction.

AnewENTity t1_iqtl44s wrote

I had Waze up and they still got me on 70 recently because there were so many alerts I just got sick of it Sped up to 80 to pass a truck for like 5 seconds and boom.

Lol

ipmcc t1_iqqsnbd wrote

In my experience, the pavement on I-76 is typically in better condition than the pavement on I-80. (Probably because it's a toll road.)

I-80 seems to be home to a LOT of semi trucks, which isn't to say I-76 doesn't have lots of trucks too, but in my experience I-80 has a LOT more.

You're gonna have to go over some mountains on either one, so brace for that. It's just reality that there are mountains between here and there.

I-80 is a lot straighter than I-76, so may be less "crazy" by some metric.

I-76 is gonna cost you more in tolls than I-80 will.

I generally prefer I-76, but that's because I've driven it so much that I know it like the back of my hand.

As someone else pointed out, I-76 will very likely be faster.

If you like to drive in excess of the speed limit, my sense is that you're more likely to get away with it for longer on I-76, but this is just a gut feeling, and not really data-driven. (I-80 has lots of long, straight, flat sections that look fun to speed on, but make it much easier for the cops to radar/laser you.)

Edit to Add: Oh yeah... if you're planning to get to I-80 by taking PA-22, be forewarned: During the day it is its own circle of hell. There's gotta be 3 dozen stop lights between Monroeville and Hollidaysburg on PA-22. I hate that road and avoid it at all costs. If you're dedicated to taking I-80, I'd recommend just taking I-79 North over PA-22, but that will take even longer.

SWPenn t1_iqqhwsy wrote

80 would take longer, but it's not a bad drive. I usually take 76 to 81 to 78 to 95 to the GW Bridge in about six hours. Different roads break up the trip for me.

Frosty_Mycologist_53 t1_iqs5wre wrote

I take the trip A LOT for work.

I80 has a lot of trucks, but usually 3 lanes on the mountains (still doesn’t stop them from bottlnecking everything, even with “no trucks left lane” signage).

I76 has mountains AND annoying tunnels (where one is usually under construction leading to claustrophobic 2 way traffic, sensitive eyes beware) up till about Harrisburg/ Carslile. Also, it’s wicked expensive and the service stations are usually a hot mess mid morning to about 5:00pm (lots of people, not a lot of employees)

Snow, I’m taking the turnpike, no snow I80 every time. (I 80 is really dangerous in the winter, I have family up there that say there is a lot of deaths between Brookville and Williamsport, and civil engineer family friends who work on I80 where the focus is to try new asphalt compounds that may have higher grip).

Truck stops have better, cheaper, tastier junk food. Gotta get that delicious Chester’s fried chicken behind the counter.

AmazonHotWax t1_iqrejhy wrote

When driving to NY I always take 80 because it’s a more relaxing drive than 76. Plus you get to drive over the GW bridge with that view!!

sskink t1_iqru11i wrote

I go back to CT a lot and take I-80. It's a reliable 5 hrs from South Hills to Delaware Water Gap. From there it's a crapshoot dependent on NJ/NY traffic. I normally take I-287 to go over the Tappan Zee (I guess it's now the Cuomo) and if you want to do that, there's an exit for the Saw Mill Pkwy which can get you to Yonkers the back way, avoiding the GWB.

There are long stretches of I-80 where you can comfortably do 80 mph and most other traffic is 75+. Rarely see cops west of Bloomsburg. Once you're past Bloomsburg traffic will slow somewhat and might crawl when you get close to NJ border, but I generally find it faster than I-76 to I-81, and certainly much less expensive.

Rhinotoad t1_iqqjku2 wrote

Hey, I used to drive this route just last spring then my car broke down irreparably lol, if you leave through the city it’s gonna depend on traffic through the parkway on the west side, but it’s probably faster than the other bridge which is named after coumo sr. Take 76, you’ll pass through a 2 hour stretch of Jersey and farmland, then a double tunnel followed by two more tunnels, the second of which is named Allegheny so you are within an hour of the city. Have a safe drive!

harpsichorddude t1_iqrgo2j wrote

Make sure to stop off in State College for ice cream at the Penn State Creamery.

ActorWriter24 OP t1_iqrgt36 wrote

Do they have doggy ice cream! I will have my dog!

Frosty_Mycologist_53 t1_iqs415p wrote

Isn’t any ice cream doggy ice cream if you give it to your dog?

I’ve been curious about this for a while. Outside of obvious things like no chocolate, what’s the difference?

[deleted] t1_iqtqz3a wrote

80 is better but some parts still have hit or Miss phone service.

mmphoto412 t1_iqr4p5p wrote

Did you look at a map? Turnpike goes to Philly, 80 goes right to the NYC area. Seems like this is something you would know if your from that area.

−8