Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lowesburritos t1_itx38nd wrote

RIP. Joining the Monroeville Hooters at the big restaurant in the sky.

Fue_la_luna t1_itxob0t wrote

RIP Chi Chi's sweet prince of fajita's foreverandeveramen.

Tonyclifton69 t1_itz5ydy wrote

Don’t forget the Brown Derby

MrRetrdO t1_iu00j0j wrote

I remember my parents took me there as a kid. I barely remember anything other than it was dark in there.

WhyHulud t1_itz5i24 wrote

Fun fact, the highest regional leader of Chi-Chi's went to King's when they closed.

LaCasaDeiGatti t1_ityf8aj wrote

Don't forget the food poisoning.

Edit: or was it something far worse like hep C?

californiadamn t1_itz4j6e wrote

Hep A. And yes, 650 people infected and 4 died. I was working as a server at another restaurant at the time. NO one was eating out then because they didn’t know it was just chi chis.

WhyHulud t1_itz5pln wrote

It was one store saving $0.05/ bunch on green onions by buying from a vendor that wasn't approved. People died for the restaurant to make a tiny bit more profit.

CARLEtheCamry t1_iu0zcym wrote

I never heard that before, have a source? I knew it was from green onions from Mexico I think, and the workers were shitting in the fields, but I thought that was more of a "how could they have known" thing when they buy green onions from their supplier.

WhyHulud t1_iu1126v wrote

Yeah, it's unfortunate that we were in bankruptcy court at the time, and the lawyers insisted we all stay quiet about it.

I guess it wasn't uncommon; workers didn't have sanitary places to go while in the fields. Some sick worker took a leak on the produce, and thousands of miles away someone died.

My source is the store's assistant manager. I was an AM at another store at the time. Chi-Chi's got a bunch of bad debt pushed on them by their parent company, who had 2 other chains that weren't doing well. They were looking for a buyer just before this hit. We even had Vince McMahon look at a couple of stores in the area. When this hit, it was the nail in the coffin.

IrrumaboMalum t1_itxvtsl wrote

Am I the only person who actually liked the food at Hooters? Daytona-style wings were amazing there.

funkyb t1_ity660m wrote

They were the best quality per dollar wings in state college when I was up there.

IrrumaboMalum t1_ity6shm wrote

If I am working some place where there is a Hooters, I go to the Hooters at least once. Last Hooters I did was in Augusta, GA. Unfortunately Augusta also had a Twin Peaks that was slightly closer to my hotel than Hooters was.

The food at Twin Peaks was overall better than at Hooters, but Hooters still had the best wings and loaded tots. But that Billionaire's Bacon at Twin Peaks...woah boy...

I was also expensing all my meals during that assignment. Free Hooters and Twin Peaks every day! Or at least when I wasn't going to a BBQ place.

I gained a little extra weight over that 3 1/2 months...

BeachPlease843 t1_itybnr9 wrote

They had a fantastic hot dog and curly fries from what I remember.

WhenRobLoweRobsLowes t1_iu07fa1 wrote

Theybused to have good burgers. I went to one in Nashville a few years ago and the quality had gone down a bit.