Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

StudyIntelligent5691 t1_iujhhvm wrote

I can’t speak to the situation in Seattle because I’m not from there. In fact, I’ve never had the pleasure of visiting your beautiful city. I have, however, done some research, and it seems that certain sections of your city do have higher than average crime, especially property crime, so you’re sharing your own experience, and that’s certainly valid. But then you go off…and for some reason, even though I presented you with information that says otherwise, you’re just absolutely certain that “liberal cities” have worse crime. By your own admission, you have no proof, nor does it seem as if you’ve really spent any time trying to gather data on this topic. Instead, again by your own admission, it’s just a feeling you have. It’s a feeling you have, and you think there’s “something to it.” This type of confirmation bias is exactly what permits untruths to take hold and cause damage. I hope you’ll think about it a little, and try to figure out why you’re satisfied with coming to conclusions in this manner.

ZealousParsnip t1_iujnbss wrote

Like I said, i know it's not a compelling argument. But the problem with gathering any information on it is crime isn't being reported. It's common knowledge that it isn't, but obviously there's no data to support it, because it's not being reported.

If there was any way to see actual numbers instead of just reported crimes I'd love to, but again it's not possible to have numbers on things not reported. I don't expect anyone to be convinced by that as an argument though.