Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] OP t1_iree4pz wrote

AnnoyedHippo t1_ireehwc wrote

It's unclear how many were on site, however every person there has what's called "Stop work authority". There's not a construction site or safety briefing in this country that doesn't cover that if you see something unsafe you have the authority to put a stop to it.

Everyone on that site is responsible.

Wouldwoodchuck t1_irez7fq wrote

That is all good on paper but the reality may have been different. It often comes down to culture and if the workers truly believe that if they use their stop work authority, there won’t be negative repercussions.

BannedSvenhoek86 t1_irf5voo wrote

Ya at my company they stress repeatedly that if you issue a stop work there will never be a negative consequence if you don't use it excessively. They beat it into us so we know even the apprentices have the ability to do it if they think it's unsafe.

On the other hand I've worked for some who never even mention a stop work authority and you just knew if you did it you were getting screamed at.

I'm guessing this company was one of the latter ones.

Wouldwoodchuck t1_irf65p8 wrote

Yup, hopefully the old ways are fading… just not fast enough for this guy unfortunately. Glad you are at a better spot these days. Cheers

bellatrix_gamma t1_irf1q1a wrote

Do we know what company this employee worked for?

[deleted] OP t1_irff24l wrote

[deleted]

−4

GargantuanWitch t1_irfge8d wrote

Because it costs less to bid out work than it does to have it done by your own people?

I mean, this isn't anything new. Every municipality does this. It's written in the bylaws of practically every town in the area that this is how infra improvements/capital purchases are made.

[deleted] OP t1_irfgnr2 wrote

[deleted]

−2

tinypauline t1_irgcukl wrote

Maybe you mean well, but you have no idea what you’re talking about. Public sector projects in PA are required to pay workers prevailing wages, which are based on union rates. Capital construction projects need concentrations of specific trades for each phase of the project: equipment operators for excavation and earthwork, laborers for site cleanup, cement finishers & ironworkers for foundations, more ironworkers for steel erecting, painters, and so forth. A public agency can’t keep those workers busy full time, all year long. That’s why they hire contractors. This man’s death is a terrible tragedy, don’t use it for uninformed virtue signaling.

GargantuanWitch t1_irfi7tq wrote

No, it has everything to do with "The people who live and pay taxes in the municipality get to choose where their money is spent, and not allow Mr. and Mrs. Councilperson to tell their nephew, who runs Townsville Public Works, to pave the road because he plows the snow in the wintertime, too."

​

>I'm thinking it has more to do with allowing a company to hire people for less than the value of their labor, then skim the "extra" money for profits.

There isn't a conspiracy hidden in plain sight for every misconception you have about the way the world works. Stop looking for one.

​

>All government contracts should be cancelled and all government functions completed in-house.

And all kids should have their homework done before they watch cartoons.

gullible_guy t1_irh1lqc wrote

The problem here is, people continue to talk about things they know nothing about because they sit on this site daily and read things people know nothing about and have zero real world experience in any of this.

tesla3by3 t1_irg1pea wrote

Governments issue contracts to private businesses to handle things that would not make sense to do in house.

gullible_guy t1_irh1h5z wrote

God damn it you are not smart. Please stick to bagging groceries.

gullible_guy t1_irh1fj6 wrote

You clearly have no idea how inefficient that actually would be.

westinghousesghost t1_ireegsk wrote

It's also quite possible the bucket worker made the move himself. I absolutely don't want to sound like I'm blaming him here, please don't take it that way, but the reality is workers often knowingly cut corners and cause accidents independently of anyone else and despite training.

Cryptic_Skies t1_irepo5q wrote

as someone who once spent a summer in a bucket truck, this is unfortunately true.

westinghousesghost t1_ireqibc wrote

I used to supervise a warehouse...the lack of give-a-shit among the associates (for work ethic, safety, quality, anything) was astounding. I quit that job after 2 guys committed a huge safety violation (which they had been trained numerous times over 2 years of work to avoid) and the regional manager blocked my efforts to fire them for it.

SendAstronomy t1_iret0bp wrote

The unwritten rule at a lot of jobs. You have to do things the safe way, but management will look the other way so the job can be done fast/cheap.

Same thing in information technology. Companies will outright ignore security to do it fast/cheap. Occasionally they will sacrifice an employee to take the blame when they get hacked.

And the bigger the company the less likely they will get held to account. Look at how many credit card breaches happen every year.

westinghousesghost t1_ireyfed wrote

>The unwritten rule at a lot of jobs. You have to do things the safe way, but management will look the other way so the job can be done fast/cheap.

Ain't that the truth. My current job involves occasionally using a boom lift. I have experience with them and use appropriate safety gear, but I'm not technically certified. For my own safety and liability, I make sure I stay well within my limited range of skills with it. But there's one area I need to use it that I don't feel safe using it (on a grade, enough to set the grade alarm off). People, and my boss, keep telling me ways to do it, and I'm just like "nope, pay someone who knows what they're doing to do it, not worth it to me." Don't make employees do things they don't feel safe doing.

Cryptic_Skies t1_irerkuz wrote

i spent a summer in a warehouse as part of a contracted team. i completely agree with you. my team was fired because two of our members refused to follow basic safety protocols and caused $5k worth of damage.

as for the bucket truck...while i never did anything that would endanger my life, there were several situations where safety could no longer be first, only because the task could otherwise not be completed.

BigHugeTime t1_irgksuy wrote

Bro wouldn’t have fell 80 feet if he was harnessed in the way he should have been.

deVriesse t1_irh0yrs wrote

It always blows my mind how much I have to yell at people for endangering themselves just to make their employer more money faster.

o_c_d t1_iref3pe wrote

We learned nothing then from the fiu collapse. Working over traffic. Smh