Submitted by Searching_Knowledge t3_z8y9pn in pittsburgh

I was driving from Squirrel Hill to Shadyside late last night and hit a dug out on the road either on Wilkins or Murray Ave. Since it was dark and unmarked, I couldn't see it until I was basically on top of it, not that I could've done much else to avoid it anyways since I only had one lane.

My car hit it, made a loud sound, and now the airbag safety light is on and my seatbelt won't retract. Definitely need to get it checked, especially before the holidays since I planned on traveling out of state to see family. I don't want to drive very far to get it serviced given that my safety system could be compromised, so I'd prefer Shadyside, Bloomfield, Friendship, East Liberty, Oakland, or Lawrenceville (or anywhere around that general area, I just don't wanna go more than 15-20ish minutes from Shadyside).

Any recommendations for mechanics nearby? I drive a Honda Civic and checked in with the Rohrich dealership on Liberty, but they're booked just about until the holidays. I was told that after a bump that loud I should probably check my alignment as well, and I'm coming up on an oil change anyways so I'd like to do that once and for all too. I'm obviously googling too, but was hoping to get opinions for local businesses or hear personal experiences about what places have good service/should be avoided.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Waterford22 t1_iye2mxu wrote

Try Bastone, which is in an alleyway parallel to Highland, roughly behind Arhaus and Casbah. http://www.bastoneauto.com/ I’ve gone to them for years, and as a woman, I’ve never thought they were pulling the wool over my eyes or recommending work I didn’t need. (Drove Wilkins today; those divots are deep and there’s no warning to slow down to about 10 mph!)

fattasswiper t1_iyefebo wrote

Walter's Automotive on Baum Blvd near the Essex House Apartment Building is the absolute best in that area in my opinion. He does great work at a fair price. There seems to be no repair he can't handle even on foreign cars. I have no idea how quick you can get in but its worth a call or a drive over there.

Manthem t1_iyejser wrote

Tim is the best, but good luck getting an appointment in the next month. Dude is always booked at least a month out. You can ask to get on a waiting list but that's usually pretty full too.

SWPenn t1_iydzn2s wrote

I've been going to Baum Blvd. Auto for 20 years and no complaints. Small local shop with personal service. It's on Baum near Millvale Avenue.

darling_cori t1_iyedzjc wrote

Seconding this recommendation - I've never actually had faith in a shop before taking my car here, and it's been awesome to finally have a "go-to". I feel like they explain things thoroughly and in layperson terms, are fair in pricing and approach. They were able to get me in to replace the clutch on my Nissan just a couple weeks ago - I'd been ready to hear they'd have no room so close to Thanksgiving but they really took good care of me as a customer.

Mayor_of_MonCity2 t1_iyesdhs wrote

came here to make sure Baum was mentioned. Good dudes over there for sure. Been using them for 7+ years now with no complaints

realmacaronni t1_iye3u7s wrote

Bastone's is a great neighborhood mechanic in Shady

PGHxplant t1_iyejav1 wrote

I've used the Goodyear service center at Station & Highland going on seven years for repairs and maintenance. They do great work at very fair prices, and I've never, ever felt upsold by them for unnecessary things. They're also very accomodating for emergent repairs and they work quickly. Don't be turned off by the branding--I think they're an excellent shop.

−1