Submitted by _SpicySauce_ t3_ytakxy in pittsburgh

I have gone to Phantom of the Attic most of my life and they will always have my business. They are honestly such nice people (in both Oakland and Monroeville locations). But I also want to checkout some other shops to just shake things up a bit.

I already sometimes go to New Dimension in the Waterfront for dollar bin diving and if Phantom doesn't have what I need. What else should I be checking out?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chromosome_Cowboy t1_iw3vc8f wrote

Copacetic Comics in Polish Hill. They do offer some super hero stuff if that’s what you’re looking for but their real specialty is international comics. The owner has extensive knowledge of the medium and is a great resource for finding new things out of your comfort zone.

blai_starker t1_iw5xld2 wrote

Copacetic is fantastic! The owner is really cool to talk to and always makes great recommendations.

It’s a small place but it is packed, prices are great, and a solid literary book options too. Tons of small press and indie titles.

shoestootight t1_iw73e57 wrote

Oooh this is one of my favorite bookstores in any city, came here to talk them up

PeachesAndBells t1_iw3c0ey wrote

I really like Arkham on Rt 8 in Allison Park. I don’t know a ton about comics and like to browse and pick up a few things every once in a while - I never feel intimidated when I go in. The owner (I think the only employee?) is always really nice and helpful. I highly recommend checking it out.

CalamityJen t1_iw5gk4y wrote

I don't know if it's still the same guy who owns it, but I knew the original owner! Super nice guy named Jeff who used to work at Borders when that existed on McKnight Rd.

I_Drive_a_shitbox t1_iw6psqw wrote

I've delivered there a couple times (UPS driver) the place looks super cool and they guy is always nice whenever I deliver. I'm not a comic book guy but came here to reccomend Arkham.

Rook22Ti t1_iw3er56 wrote

Check out K&J Comics in West View. They opened over the summer and acquired the inventory from Duncan's when they closed down. Nice place and the owners are super cool.

Baron_Von_Joy t1_iw30exy wrote

Eide’s and Copacetic

_SpicySauce_ OP t1_iw31hg5 wrote

I've heard the people in Eide's are douchebags, any truth to this or just a fringe opinion?

CARLEtheCamry t1_iw33f11 wrote

I've never had any issues, either with just myself or my kids. I went in as basically a comic book noob and they were nice and explained things to me. They gave me promo tickets for the first Guardians of the Galaxy once when I went in with the kids too.

There's no denying that type of store attracts a certain type. Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons wasn't randomly made up. I have seen them have to get on people about the bag policy, and a few heated conversations with a lot of "ackchyually"s flying around.

_SpicySauce_ OP t1_iw349cw wrote

Oh I can definitely deal with that. I was more worried about them hanging over my shoulder the whole time thinking I’m gonna steal. Thanks for the heads up

platasaurua t1_iw3cogq wrote

They won’t hesitate to make fun of you for your purchase if they don’t agree with its level of ‘cool’. Won’t ever set foot in there again. Duncan Books was my favorite shop in town, but I haven’t been out that way in a while and I heard he closed down.

Big Bang Comics in Sewickley is a nice little shop. New Dimension has shops in Homestead and Cranberry, plus their home location up north in Elwood City (never been to this one though). There’s also one on Mount Nebo Rd. that I can’t remember the name of and haven’t had the chance to check out. These are the ones I know of. Hope it helps.

Edit - not Mount Nebo, Mount Royal Blvd.

average_waffle t1_iw41u9e wrote

The thing with Eide's is that those dudes have been there forever and they've seen a lot of shit. Any time I am in there I feel like they are watching me to makes sure I don't steal or break anything. It is kind if justified because if I ran a business in downtown Pittsburgh in the 80s/90s I'd probably be a little skeptical of people too, but like damn is it uncomfortable in there as a customer sometimes.

Baron_Von_Joy t1_iw34maq wrote

Sarcasm and dry humor, sure, but that comes with the territory. They have always helped me find things or made recommendations etc. But YMMV I guess.

I would also recommend the New Dimensions in Elwood City. It’s a bit of a hike, depending upon where you are, but it has a huge selection of dollar books.

guyonlinepgh t1_iw37bx4 wrote

I know of multiple complaints in that respect, but I've never had any issues with any of them. Understand that the sarcasm meter can really spike with the workers if you're obnoxious. I've also seen them tolerate some egregiously stupid people, so you just never know who you're behind in line that day. You can ask basic questions, just don't behave like an idiot and you'll be fine.

a_waltz_for_debby t1_iw47cnd wrote

They were in the late 90s and early 00s. they used to WRITE THE PRICES directly on the books in pencil also, which i always thought was insane. I can’t speak to the experience there now.

AsleepRefrigerator42 t1_iw3qiqb wrote

I went there a few times about ten years ago and was turned off. Just sort of dour and curt. I really didn't like them asking me to leave my bag with them at the counter

Saberpilot t1_iw3ottj wrote

If you're not the stereotypical comic-buying type, you might have issues. I had an experience with someone whom I was told later was in charge of the comics section, gender-based.

They definitely have a large catalog to buy from; hopefully they have improved since my visit. I never went back after that.

bad_ass_blunts t1_iw52xii wrote

I usually find them to be good if not great. I think maybe once of the dozens of times I've brought friends, one of them had an unpleasant comment, but not enough for me to even recall what it was.

Winter_Coyote t1_iw5u49m wrote

I went once and they were douches to me. Considering how many other amazing comic book shops there are in the area, I don't see any reason to ever give them my business.

NYCinPGH t1_iw5fg3q wrote

I don’t know about current ownership, but Greg Eide was a complete POS, to both customers and staff, from when he opened it in the 70s until the day he died. And treating customers like they should feel blessed to be allowed into the establishment was something he instilled in his employees.

I haven’t been there since Greg died, so I can’t say whether that’s still the attitude the staff has.

TheBikeWhisperer t1_iw3uguq wrote

copacetic is a delight. diverse and expansive selection, and a knowledgeably eccentric owner who provides great recommendations. def worth a stop.

thebaron512 t1_iwd4stq wrote

If you're downtown, check out Eric's Bill & Walt's (in the basement off Smithfield St). Small shop, but been around for decades.

stoner_marthastewart t1_iw3jbyk wrote

Big Bang Comics in Sewickley is great and they have a bunch of collectibles as well! They’re super friendly and helpful and I can’t recommend them enough.

pawsup4221 t1_iw4xj2f wrote

My go to. Owner is the nicest guy you’ll ever meet.

Rook22Ti t1_iw52q2k wrote

I'll vouch for this one as well. It's a really nice little store in a great location.

AsleepRefrigerator42 t1_iw3rp25 wrote

Caliban across from Phantom has a small trove of rare single issue and collections, but I haven't been there since the owner was caught in a scheme that stole millionsss from the Carnegie Library.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/theft-carnegie-library-books-maps-artworks-180975506/

Niagaraballs71 t1_iw49439 wrote

POS owner though. Look up his involvement in a theft ring from Carnegie Library central branch. I wouldn't support him at all I'm light of that.

AsleepRefrigerator42 t1_iw49vpv wrote

Real talk: did you read the first half of that sentence and not the second half?

Niagaraballs71 t1_iw4bulb wrote

Sorry, I jumped when I read the name lol. Bears repeating anyway.

AsleepRefrigerator42 t1_iw4cgaj wrote

No worries! I mainly brought them up to share the insane story.

I work in the judiciary and read the criminal complaint when it came in. By far the longest I've seen. A truly stunning crime. No idea how Caliban is still in business

Niagaraballs71 t1_iw4d11k wrote

I'd have assumed the Carnegie would have sued for the irreparable harm and bankrupted him. I didn't follow the case all the way but it caught my attention when it broke as I worked there years (decades) ago.

Ahgoobwa t1_iw3dltc wrote

Infinity in Murrysville. Smaller shop but Alvin has been there forever and he's a great guy. Always willing to help you out and help you find whatever you're looking for/order whatever you're looking for. He always has some pretty awesome statues and figures too if you're into that

RevMacReady t1_iw6vwt3 wrote

Oh man, I miss that shop. Nice that Alvin is still there, too!

OllieFromCairo t1_iw49svt wrote

FWIW, Phantom of the Attic is four separate operations independently owned by four separate people.

The original owner retired in the early 90s and sold the Oakland, Monroeville and Greentree locations to different people.

Around 2000, the Oakland store separated into separate comic and games operations, and in 2020, the owner of the comics store sold the gaming store to the longtime store managers.

_SpicySauce_ OP t1_iw4ch91 wrote

Yep I’m well aware, all of them are very nice people in my experience. Been going since I was a little kid. Brock at the gaming store is a buddy of mine, I used to sell him lunch meat haha

RumbleInTheJungle4 t1_iw4myp0 wrote

Absolutely love phantom no better shop in my mind. Jeff and the gang are always helpful

NYCinPGH t1_iw5fwjz wrote

Tru dat. I’ve been going to Phantom since the third week they were open, before Jeff was even an employee. When I cut back on my visits and pulls - moving away from Oakland, mostly - Jeff and Wayne would always put aside things they knew I’d want, no charge. Somewhere I still have a few of their bucks, with Steve Ditko on them.

MILK_DUD_NIPPLES t1_iw53uds wrote

Is the Greentree one still there in the mall? Used to go there with my dad as a child.

yagirlbmoney t1_iw6dk95 wrote

Sadly Parkway Center Mall has been leveled, only Giant Eagle remains.

That Phantom location moved into Noble Manor, where the Italian Bread place used to be. Located in the same strip as The Ugly Dog, Subway, Phong May House, etc.

PennDanzig t1_iw3toh7 wrote

South Side Comics on Curry Hollow road is great. Nice owner and friendly staff. Can’t recommend them enough.

IanPlaysDiscGolf t1_iw6p4fa wrote

Came here to comment Southside comics. The owner is such a good dude.

BluePinkertonGreen t1_iw42p5b wrote

Though not aptly named, Pittsburgh Comics on McMurray/ 19 is the best by far. Colin, Tim, Pat, and the shop dogs are great company!

MILK_DUD_NIPPLES t1_iw53hyy wrote

I went in there for the first time a few weeks ago. Got some interesting comic book adaptations of old stories (Oliver Twist and a few others) as well as a graphic novel re-imagining of Slaughterhouse Five. Neat place and right across the street from where I go grocery shopping.

UselessLezbian t1_iw4zg6r wrote

Love the shop dogs! So friendly. I love going in the middle of the day as they follow you around. Should be noted though, they're a little wary of children.

fireballsdeep t1_iw6nj70 wrote

Glad to see this rec'd. They don't have Magic anymore, but when I got back into magic like 12 years ago, that was where I played for awhile. Colin was always great. Huge selection of comics.

kenmore808 t1_iw4o3hk wrote

Bells is up in Grove City (pine Grove square, ~10 minutes off 79). A bit of a hike from PGH but very much worth it. The owner (Mark) grew up collecting comic books with his dad then started his own shop 30-ish years ago. They do tend to open on the later side (noon-ish) but are generally open very late.

EnragedAmoeba t1_iw404d6 wrote

You gotta give a look at Geekadrome on Brookline Blvd... one of my favorite community-centered shops. Cards and tabletop in the back, too.

PittsburghDM t1_iw41b91 wrote

Just because my friend runs it, Bill and Walts in downtown Pittsburgh. Has a nice selection of comics and games

flippant_burgers t1_iw46v06 wrote

They used to be on the street where our new office moved and they left just as we moved in. I forgot about them and just stumbled across the new shop last week. First street is really pretty, I wish it could become more of a destination for cool shops like theirs.

OaSoaD t1_iw69umt wrote

New dimensions comics waterfront. Great selection and nice staff.

Key_Dust7595 t1_iw41wxt wrote

Phantom of the Attic in Oakland is pretty awesome, they have gaming and comic shops across the street from one another

GettingWreckedAllDay t1_iw56m6t wrote

Eides going into the strip is amazing, Bill and Walts downtown (end of Smithfield near point park) is a great place and the owner is nice as hell. New Dimensions waterfront is the same team that ran the century 3 location and they're great.

RevMacReady t1_iw6w3xt wrote

There's also a decent NDC in the Mills Mall, pretty much only store surviving there.

Jahya69 t1_iw7wdrm wrote

Copacetic in Polish Hill

quickdraw3457 t1_iw3r9sc wrote

The folks at Heroes Ink in Robinson are great people. I go there for games but they have mostly comics.

_General_Account_ t1_iw3ubme wrote

I couldn't have been more turned off by the employees of Phantom of the Attic in Monroeville. Classic gatekeeping. I'll never go back. New Dimension for me.

_SpicySauce_ OP t1_iw3zct6 wrote

Whaaaat, really? I have never seen them be anything but so nice to everyone that walks in there in the many many years I've been going off and on

LeoTheBirb t1_iw4i6cq wrote

Is Duncan’s Comics still around?

Steelergate t1_iw4muqy wrote

Duncan’s closed sometime over the last year. Game Masters moved into the old Duncan’s building.

HarmonicOne t1_iw8a790 wrote

Duncan sold his inventory to K&J Comics who reopened just down the street in the West View shopping plaza. Nice store and great owners, highly recommend checking them out.

Cochise2120 t1_iw3yu6x wrote

Eidie's is a nice store with a decent collection, but I'd have to say their foreboding signage on the front door seems a tad over the top, and their snarky to downright rude manner is incredibly off putting. If shoplifting is that much of a problem, that seems like a store problem and not the clientele. They're basically saying you can only come in with your wallet in your teeth and nothing else. Stick with Phantom and elsewhere.