Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

westinghousesghost t1_izm5noi wrote

I've done it. A little rough on the nerves lol.

Caseywalt39 OP t1_izm61ud wrote

I'm sure! Everytime I go past it I think about trying it. Or wanting to watch someone try.

chuckie512 t1_izm8f64 wrote

It's easy when there's no traffic, or when there's enough traffic to slow everything down.

Those in between situations suck.

SmellView42069 t1_izn7yox wrote

Best description I’ve heard for driving around Pittsburgh.

chuckie512 t1_iznjfbw wrote

Yeah I avoid it as much as I can, but I still have to make enough trips to the suburbs that I can't completely ditch my car yet.

critzboombah t1_izmfkv0 wrote

Unpopular opinion: Important to keep in mind, the posted speed limit is probs slower than you're actually traveling.

When we mind the speed limits, these poorly designed on/off ramps are more manageable.

Caseywalt39 OP t1_izmhkja wrote

You are probably right. I think the speed limit is 45 there. But I know people slow down for the corner and then speed up.

KBombing t1_iznh2sg wrote

On a side note, How did they harness the light of the sun to illuminate the lights underneath the Center ave overpass?

Caseywalt39 OP t1_j0dd8kw wrote

I loved the "testing lights" signs that they had there for a while. Its like thanks for warning me that its blinding!

dramionedrips t1_izm8sr8 wrote

I used to do it every day as I live right off the exit and used to work at Pitt - it was some sort of misery figuring out the learning curve during rush hour coming home. I will say there’s no winning. You can’t slow down and try to time it in between cars because the people behind you don’t expect to stop and will lay on the horn about it and if you try to speed past/ahead of the person in the right lane, they try to match you for some reason and it’s a showdown. You also have to turn fully sideways to catch the traffic coming up the ramp because they’re coming from below. It’s a horrible shit show. I’ve missed it a few times too and it’s about 10+ minutes to circle back on a good day.

boredoflife96 t1_izn6to5 wrote

Someone did that behind me at like 55 moh yesterday. I was shocked at first, but then realized that was the only way over there.

ipmcc t1_iznzwec wrote

I've done it. No prob. I drive fast, nimble cars though.

cityfireguy t1_izo8nrp wrote

Every time I forget something at home. Gets the blood pumping.

kaitb1103 t1_izowyl7 wrote

I saw a cop do it the other day! But he cheated and turned on his lights to make it 😂

cripy311 t1_izprsg7 wrote

I used to take this exit daily from the ramp you screenshotted from. It really just requires you to know how to merge/speed match traffic and its a simple double lane change.

Always be willing to abort and eat the L obviously if some race car driver blocks your path.

213737isPrime t1_izqkpcj wrote

I used to do it all the time on a motorcycle when I was working downtown. No trouble at all.

[deleted] t1_izmfjob wrote

I don’t get it. Is it just narrow?

Caseywalt39 OP t1_izmi7jt wrote

No. The merge from Crosstown Blvd comes up beside where this screenshot is. Also there is a barrier to the right you can't see. So you can't see until you have to merge... Also the spot to merge is only about 200 or so feet in length.

So basically you can't see til the last minute and you don't have very long to make a decision. Also people will want to merge over because the lane they are in is an exit.

[deleted] t1_izo8kym wrote

Ah, got it. I’ll have to check it out.

johnjr_09 t1_iznmoir wrote

I used to work in turtle creek and live in the Chatham tower right there. It’s doable if it’s not rush hour… but rush hour no chance.

d4bbl3z t1_izofbzt wrote

I drive that road into downtown every day. Good luck getting over there, except maybe in the middle of the night. Better luck taking the 7th Ave exit and making a U-turn.