Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Itsjustataco t1_j1kas1k wrote

It's fucking 7° outside. Fuck these guys. They need to build a better infrastructure.

LGP214 OP t1_j1kb1jk wrote

that’s what I thought too - but this is a non-profit responsible for interconnecting the different grids. The problem is that we’ve shed so much generation capacity but the loads are still the same.

Itsjustataco t1_j1kqw1x wrote

Is it a non-profit? I can't seem to find that information. I only briefly skimmed but it seems they refund excess deposits from ???. Makes me think the energy cos supply them and they build infrastructure for those companies?

Is this "non-profit" funded by the for profit companies? That would create a nice conflict of interest.

DQE is for sure for profit, which I find to be completely fucked. Mostly owned by Singapore.

Owners: https://www.duquesnelight.com/company/about/investors#undefined

Karma4Clunkerz t1_j1kz6z8 wrote

Non profits receiving funds from for profit companies are called donations, not conflict’s of interest

Itsjustataco t1_j1p97ht wrote

Not when the service provided directly benefits them, that is a service provider, a vendor. When their contributors are only a set of ten companies, how can a non-profit act independent of those 10 companies?

Karma4Clunkerz t1_j1sb3f2 wrote

Because they are a separate entity… and when a for profit company donates the assets have to be classified by the non profit depending on any restrictions donors may have, also non profit entities have multiple documentation requirements for both donors and vendors. I’ve audited non profits all over Pittsburgh if these things are missing or unreported we the auditors disclose that info and the non profit can lose 501c3 status.

ktxhopem3276 t1_j1klf6p wrote

It’s really expensive to build and staff a power plant that only runs on the coldest day of the year

James19991 t1_j1kvb4q wrote

I think maybe the issue is all of the holiday lights and displays people are using electric for that they aren't otherwise using in mid-January when if it does get this cold, it's more likely to happen than December. Not sticking up for them, just a theory.