Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Emergency-Ad-4671 OP t1_j24p001 wrote

Reply to comment by kitsandkats123 in Pittsburghese by Emergency-Ad-4671

Just a joke and not trying to actually recover. To be honest, I was just trying to speak correctly to teach my students correctly. I actually noticed this because I was reading an excerpt to them and the sentence said, “Are our children…”. I’m standing in front of them going “AHR AHR children” like a damn pirate. Started to realize I say many things incorrectly such as: pull, pool, and pole. I say them all as “pull”. I honestly only watch how I speak when teaching; otherwise, I wouldn’t notice these things.

People took this so literally like I hate my mother for her accent. Clearly I have it, too! Guess this was more of a question of how to pronounce ruin and now I am ashamed I am working class and have an accent because Reddit came for me (from people who don’t have true yinzer families).

kitsandkats123 t1_j26quqa wrote

i’m definitely one of the people who took everything you said literally, and i apologize about that! i’d like to believe most pittsburghers aren’t classist considering this city is famous for its working class history. most natives i know come from working class and still are, i personally just interpreted your original post incorrectly.

also, i refuse to believe there is a difference in “pole” vs “pool” vs “pull,” as well as “are” and “our.” everyone else in this country is wrong; they are all pronounced the same. no one can convince me otherwise.

Emergency-Ad-4671 OP t1_j26rlvo wrote

No need to apologize. You explained yourself and even said you weren’t being snarky! I totally agree that there is no difference in those words. I can’t stop won’t stop. Told my students one time how we all say it the same. It was hysterical the whole class is going “pull…puuulllll…pul”. “Our” and “are” are seriously the hardest for me. So is “tile”. I said “floor tahl” in college and my roommate was from Harrisburg. Genuinely she was concerned for me. Didn’t even notice

WoodpeckerFar9804 t1_j26wld7 wrote

I notice a lot of people say ‘roon’ or even ‘run’ for ruin. ‘Yinz better take dem shoes off atda door or yoool run the floor I just red up’