Submitted by bkvagnini t3_10a6arl in pittsburgh

I am moving from Florida in a few weeks and realized that there aren't any Whataburger restaurants in the Pittsburgh area. Is there anything similar or is there the same thing but with a different name (like Carl's Jr/Hardees or White Castle/Krystals)?

​

Thanks in advance

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mcvoid1 t1_j42ih07 wrote

No Whataburger is a south thing, like Texas and Florida.

The bad news: We don't really have a lot of presence in food chains, especially in the city. The suburbs have more.

The good news: That's because we have outstanding Ma & Pa places all over that beat the pants off of chains, and the chains just can't compete. I worked on the south side for a while and loved Over the Bar.

No_Introduction2103 t1_j42tidi wrote

OTB had some of the best fries I ever had! Burgers are tasty also

mcvoid1 t1_j42u308 wrote

Yeah those fries are seasoned so well that ketchup is almost a disservice.

Cesc100 t1_j47st4x wrote

Give us the names of a few that have great (1)chicken tenders and fries,(2) fried chicken (3) burgers I know of Hotdog shoppe re. burgers but I don't know any that have good fried chicken or tenders and fries.

mbotto t1_j42g3dm wrote

Hardee's in Millvale

butt_naked_wonder t1_j42l7u5 wrote

…there’s a Hardee’s in Millvale!?! How did I not know this!?

whyadamwhy t1_j43ti21 wrote

It’s super close to the Rita’s. Good double shot in the summer.

Fearless-Law-4916 t1_j442wjj wrote

I found this out like 5 years ago, Im from the south hills and it's really tucked back in Millvale. A nice surprise.

craggy_cynic t1_j44ijz0 wrote

Probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't the only Hardee's in town!

garvisdol t1_j42n1bh wrote

I think OP wasn't looking for Hardees specifically, they were just saying that Hardees and Carl's Jr are basically the same place with different names. So they want a Whataburger under another name, if there were such a thing.

whyadamwhy t1_j43tg3p wrote

It’s really good for a fast food burger. I don’t know how they aren’t more successful as a company.

Robert_roberts82 t1_j42e3f0 wrote

No regional burger chain in Pittsburgh. Five guys maybe the closest?

Hayk t1_j42pfdm wrote

My god I would love a Krystal’s or White Castle in Pittsburgh.

Robert_roberts82 t1_j42rd09 wrote

I guess we’re getting some chicken finger place.

I’ve never been, but I hear what we need is a Culver’s

C_Reg t1_j42sli0 wrote

Raising Cane’s is the chicken place you’re thinking of.

acutomanzia t1_j43ry4m wrote

Raising Cane’s is terrific!

C_Reg t1_j43s6fb wrote

It’s no Bojangles.

Mcdicks_420_69 t1_j455i2i wrote

I would do anything for a Bojangles near pgh

C_Reg t1_j465zf3 wrote

Agreed, I’ve honestly looked into how much a franchise is, but don’t have the money or the will to run a fried chicken place. Haha

acutomanzia t1_j43sbm2 wrote

I always found their chicken too greasy. Buds Chicken in Florida is the best hands down

C_Reg t1_j43tl41 wrote

I’ll keep my eyes open next time I’m down there. If there’s two things we lack in Pittsburgh, it’s good fried chicken and BBQ.

acutomanzia t1_j43ukjk wrote

Yeah, it’s the only thing I miss about the South

C_Reg t1_j43vfe5 wrote

Couldn’t agree more, let’s start our BBQ and fried chicken Pittsburgh empire!

NotHosaniMubarak t1_j44t37a wrote

Canes is over priced. The tea and lemonade are excellent. The chickens just good.

Cesc100 t1_j47simx wrote

At this point in time just about everywhere is overpriced.

Elouiseotter t1_j42tr7y wrote

Culver’s has deep fried cheese curds that are pretty good

zappafrank2112 t1_j43893p wrote

I grew up with Krystal (southern transplant here). I prefer them to White Castle.

Hayk t1_j43a20y wrote

Ditto, but I’ll take what I can get. Love those Krystal chili cheese pups as a palate cleanser.

Upper_lowerclass t1_j44imrv wrote

Bc you're a mustard person. Also the reason why I enjoy them way more than the ketchup smothered White Castle

NikkiRocker t1_j4571qf wrote

Used to be a White Castle in Oakland.

IClight69 t1_j45xebz wrote

Wasn’t there in in the North Side too by the Dirty Bird?

pmp412 t1_j42szuq wrote

Moonlit burgers in Dormont has smash burgers, (never had in and out or what a burger)

gthirty6ptime t1_j44h4jq wrote

They have one right across from Duquesne campus. Right down from the basketball arena.

pmp412 t1_j44tlwf wrote

I did not know that

k0zah t1_j46pem8 wrote

Also just opened one in Oakland, or broke ground. Can't remember

Ntovorni t1_j43w77n wrote

Definitely not like Whataburger at all…but still excellent.

jhc412 t1_j42d0pw wrote

We have Rallys

MissMurderpants t1_j42pvyb wrote

Rally’s is pretty close.

I miss Whataburger. Jack in the box. Del taco.

I saw In n Out is slowly moving east.

I think Burgatory has really decent burgers. My folks love Tessaros but I haven’t been in years.

mcvoid1 t1_j42uwjn wrote

I like Burgatory burgers but their sides are not very good. The shakes are good, but those must be hard to mess up.

thebaron512 t1_j42pwc2 wrote

Been there a few times, but rarely out there during meal times. I prefers Ma's Honey, which I get breakfast stuff. Wish they would have eat in again, since they use to offer caribbean dishes before covid.

65wildcat_buick t1_j44g38c wrote

Whataburger is not that good. We need an In N Out here before mehburger

cripy311 t1_j45dtec wrote

Who needs in and out when we have pittsburgh sandwich society.

DarkKnyt t1_j469kee wrote

Gtfo you Whataburger heathen!

J/k both are at various times fantastic and mediocre.

65wildcat_buick t1_j46pvbn wrote

My father was from Texas and loved whataburger. I tried it a few times in Mississippi and was not really impressed. In N Out in Texas was good but there is something about a San Diego or Los Angeles In N Out that holds a special place in my heart (probably the cholesterol clogging it)

Cesc100 t1_j47t33p wrote

You would think that would be reversed re. Texas and CA In-N -Out and cholesterol.

Zealousideal-Bug1967 t1_j42c1tn wrote

I have no idea if it’s similar but since you specifically mentioned it, there is a Hardees.

Ntovorni t1_j43wd17 wrote

You can do what I do, and…..travel to the panhandle to visit my parents and always get Whataburger and/or Culver’s.

cardinaljester t1_j431ayb wrote

Not really except for maybe five guys. But what you should absolutely get instead is Moonlit Burgers. You can thank me later

Accomplished_Web_712 t1_j44ejl3 wrote

Texan also living in Pittsburgh and to put it plainly, no. Pittsburgh food ain’t it. Especially the Mexican food.

0_clever_names_left t1_j44g4x7 wrote

There is a place on 51 “Pittsburgh BBQ” (I think) that makes a mean smoked chicken if you miss Texas bbq. It probably won’t be as good as home but it’s the best we got.

Aromatic_Junket3008 t1_j4o62tg wrote

Pittsburgh has great food. Just not whataburger or Mexican. Texan here. Way more food options than Austin.

hurricanesfan66 t1_j44ipdp wrote

In n Out coming to TN, apparently a warehouse too to possibly expand on the east coast. Would love one of those!

FuzzyWalnutz t1_j447ghl wrote

I'm a Texan living in Pittsburgh and the answer is........No, not even close. I've heard Moonlit is good but I haven't tried it yet.

NotHosaniMubarak t1_j44tqmg wrote

moonlit is good but not really comparable to whataburger. It's more like a 5 guys

imadv8r2 t1_j4488uc wrote

Forget Moonlit. It’s only good because Pittsburgh proper has no similar alternatives.

You want a real smash burger? Then you’ll have to broaden your horizons and expand your search.

Go to Freddy’s Frozen Custard. The closest one is technically in Dover, Ohio, but it’s faster to drive to the Akron location. Great stuff. Stellar fries if you ask for seasoning. Pro tip: their hot dogs are from Vienna Beef.

And, if you do go to Ohio, you can, indeed, hit a Culver’s, but other than their cheese curds and krinkle kut fries, they are inferior to Freddy’s, though still a step above Moonlit.

If it were the Spring, the real answer is Greensburg’s own Tastyland, whose burgers not only fully eclipse Moonlit, but Freddy’s, Culver’s, and crossover to blow cheffy, pub, and other local offerings right off the grill. Pro tip: bacon double with onions, ketchup on the side, with a bag of carnival-like fries and a Dole Whip for dessert.

Can’t wait and don’t wanna drive? Go get a cast iron skillet, commercial flipper, Martin’s Potato Buns, Cooper American, and the best damn ground Chuck you’ve ever had from Bardine’s Country Smokehouse and learn how to make your own.

You can thank me later.

nicksloan t1_j44stkb wrote

The best smash burger I’ve had in the Pittsburgh area is absolutely one I’ve made at home. One of the easiest meals in my repertoire.

mtorre389 t1_j47oo1i wrote

Burgatory is a local chain, pretty solid burgers and milkshakes

New_wolf-of-wall_420 t1_j44o5qq wrote

Honest to god, good place to get great burgers or dogs for a great price. Dog and burger in Bloomfield. Beats McDonald’s prices and surely beats the taste. My bust suggestion next to five guys.

NotHosaniMubarak t1_j44tgs6 wrote

No and we don't have anything close.

We have almost (or maybe actually) zero 24 food places. We have few drive throughs and none of them are compelling. There is great food in PGH but it's not cheap, not fast, and not available late.

NotHosaniMubarak t1_j44u8tl wrote

I'm embarrassed for my pgh brethren for they know not what a whataburger is.

All of the suggestions here are bad. There is nothing like a whataburger in PGH.

Yes, there are lesser fast food burgers and there are fast casual burger joints with decent burgers. But nothing even close to a Whataburger.

thecrowfly t1_j466rth wrote

Nothing close to Whataburger here. A few Culver's in Ohio, which are pretty good but a little over an hour away.

Jerry's Curb Service in Beaver is pretty good though.

Smart-Loss-9277 t1_j46e5y4 wrote

Whataburger, to me, tastes just like Sonic. If you want to stick with fast food, I’d go there

glitch83 t1_j473cy2 wrote

No. You won’t be happy with any of the alternatives. I suggest that you take this as an adventure and try out the local flavor. You may or may not like it and either way is fine but don’t try to replace things you already know or else you’ll just end up disappointed.

Aromatic_Junket3008 t1_j4o6cp1 wrote

A whataburger substitute needs a thin patty & mustard. Lots of good burgers here but no similar burger encountered so far.

AbsructCigar t1_j42sk9y wrote

Rallys in Penn Hills?

mcvoid1 t1_j42vsyh wrote

I hate that one. I've never eaten in there but I hope it burns to the ground. When it first opened, it drew so many people that the whole area was gridlocked. Hours at a time, every day, for weeks. I'll never get those hours back where I just wanted to get home from work but no, the drive through line spilled into the road for 300 yards in both directions. Jammed the entirety of Rodi road, from the Parkway to Frankstown.

−1

LettuceNo4384 t1_j43gi1i wrote

Go to Moonlit Burgers for a beautiful smash burger

Rocktroy33 t1_j4505jx wrote

Never been to Moonlit, but Burgh'ers Brewing has some great smashburgers. Their rosemary fries are great too.

th3sh3ph3rd t1_j42r57m wrote

Lived in Texas.. Whataburger is just a McDonald’s/Burger King knockoff minus the patty melt.

Just go to McDonald’s??

−5

mcvoid1 t1_j42v8ss wrote

Whataburger's way better than McDonald's. Better than Hardees. Not better than Five Guys and a lot of the more modern "better burger" chains, though.

OOOOeeeAAAA t1_j43gv7l wrote

That was a lot of words to say I have shitty tastebuds.