Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

timesuck t1_j6nf7vm wrote

I’m guessing the person who told you that meant there are no traditional push cart dim sum places here, which is correct.

There are some restaurants that serve dim sum though. Parlor was already mentioned and this thread talks about the other options.

Cutter70 t1_j6o7fpq wrote

I miss push cart dim sum so much. That honey jasmine soft tofu is where it’s at.

[deleted] t1_j6nh89u wrote

Surely in the minority but really thought Parlor sucked big time. A lot of the options were straight up flavorless. Really wanted to like it, because having a full on dim sum place here is great. But it was just a miss for me.

Not the full experience but Everyday Noodles is way better imo.

kds5065 t1_j6ni1p7 wrote

We went two weeks ago. I thought the dumplings were underwhelming as were the pork buns.

But the noodles and fish we got were incredible. The fish was stupid expensive though, about half the bill. Oh and the cocktail for two was also good.

ticketferret t1_j6no4fh wrote

Parlor food was good but the price is a lot. If someone was looking for dimsum its a little disappointing portion wise.

epicstar t1_j6nubus wrote

I like the other food there, but their dimsum options are ok.

contiguous t1_j6o21sx wrote

The mapo tofu there was completely flavorless, no spice

TSOD t1_j6p5ehw wrote

I didn't like the dim sum but the seafood fried rice was incredible, some of the best food I ever had. They should decide if they're a dim sum place and nail down the quality or a high end Chinese place and drop the pretense.

TrinCroft t1_j6ng9qd wrote

We went to Bao a week or so ago and had dim sum there. They don't have a huge selection but it was good. Also, a bit easier of a place to go than trying to get a reservation at Parlor all the time.

There isn't a place with cart service, unfortunately

Gladhands t1_j6oa61q wrote

Bao is pretty good. It’s nothing special, but most cart dim sum places in big cities are mediocre too. It’s as good as the average NYC cart place.

Jumpy-Natural4868 t1_j6ngs1s wrote

DIY_Creative t1_j6nk23n wrote

Couple questions. I'm not above driving to Cleveland just for a dinner. Have done it before (Rowley Inn - GREAT dive-ish bar in Tremont) and have driven just for Cleveland Zoo winter lights. I've never had Dim Sum. Do they offer this all day? In research, traditionally it's a brunch / lunch meal. I also see it's meant to be shared, sooooo how frowned upon will it be if I'm solo, haha? Also, kid friendly? Sounds like it. My kiddo will def try some new stuff, and the small plates will mean he'd be excited (without the commitment to have a whole plate of a new food to consume), but you know, not sure if it's frowned upon with this type of service. Can it get super expensive?? Thanks!

ticketferret t1_j6no8lf wrote

It can get expensive if you’re not paying attention. They also only do push cart service on the weekends so I’d aim for saturday or sunday morning/afternoon i believe.

Quietpiper t1_j6nqi64 wrote

One of my professors took me there a little over 20 years ago. I think about that food every once in a while but have never been able to remember the name of the place. Thank you.

epicstar t1_j6np7oj wrote

There really isn't 100% traditional dimsum here. But for what we have, the best is Bao. Everyday Noodles which isn't really a dimsum restaurant is also good. Parlor is not the best but isn't the worst. Both Bao and Parlor are expensive, but flavor wise, Bao is still better IMO. Competition is good

bizzyblake t1_j6nl0lw wrote

Jimmy Wans

InternalAd9247 t1_j6oc9ob wrote

Jimmy Wan’s isn’t traditional push cart dim sum, but it has a lot of those dishes served a la carte and is delicious

Pufus2fus t1_j6ndrvx wrote

The parlor dim sum on Butler just opened. It's pretty good!

dmil103 t1_j6nk46u wrote

I don't think Pittsburgh has enough Chinese families to sustain a traditional Dim Sum house unfortunately :(

−5

x-jien t1_j6ntoxn wrote

You would be mistaken. Sincerely, a third generation Pittsburgh Chinese family.

[deleted] t1_j6nduqk wrote

[deleted]

−11

Wide-Concert-7820 OP t1_j6ne3d4 wrote

And....they are? Because there is only one listed here. Please, your other options?

astrosail t1_j6net55 wrote

Dude, get Google Maps. There are dozens of dim sum options in Pittsburgh.

−18

epicstar t1_j6npp7h wrote

Bro I don't know what you're on but there's literally no traditional dimsum here.

astrosail t1_j6nsnuv wrote

Then maybe OP should have specified “traditional dim sum” when posting. Sorry for the misunderstanding, but there’s no need gaslight me about it.

−4

epicstar t1_j6nurhv wrote

We're not gaslighting you... It's because there's no 100% (traditional) dimsum restaurant here. All the "dimsum restaurants" here are normal Chinese/Cantonese/Taiwanese restaurants with dimsum options like appetizers.

astrosail t1_j6nv16m wrote

You said “I don’t know what you’re on here” implying that you think I am on drugs and therefore not thinking straight. You are questioning my sanity. That’s gaslighting.

−6

Wide-Concert-7820 OP t1_j6ng02v wrote

I am asking because there arent. The one listed above just opened. Do you know what Dim Sum is? Its a whole series of dumplings, a bunch of courses. I can understand why a restaurant would NOT want to serve it, business wise.

astrosail t1_j6ng4nt wrote

Lol

−5

[deleted] t1_j6nmodq wrote

Seems like a nice fella except for the hostile reactions to a simply answer

−1

astrosail t1_j6nr6vb wrote

Yeah, right? I love dim sum as much as the next guy, and it seems like OP does too, but what drives me up the fucking wall is when the answer to someone’s question is met with aggression from the OP.

[deleted] t1_j6ogwmi wrote

Seems like half are woke police and any answer that is sugary sweet is met with vitriol.

−1

[deleted] t1_j6ngrld wrote

Well I guess you answered your own question.

−9

[deleted] t1_j6nfxhz wrote

Are there any places that sell 🍌 bananas? I was told no.

−7