Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

nice-noodles t1_j7bgbug wrote

I also moved to Providence from NYC for cost of living and quality of life reasons. My work is 90% remote, so I just go to NYC a few days every month. My husband works a remote job based in Boston, and he commutes there once or twice a week. We have a car, but sometimes we go months without using it, since everything is walkable in our neighborhood (Federal Hill). We just walk 20 minutes to the Amtrak/Commuter Rail station. I’ve never taken the bus here since the one time I wanted to take it to visit a friend who lives a bit more outside the center of things, the bus I wanted to take was cancelled. If the weather is bad, we just take Ubers if we are going out or need to go to the train station.

Ghostwriter2057 t1_j7fshjq wrote

Oddly enough, I take Uber in all other cities except Providence. It just occurred to me. lol

When did you relocate from NYC? And what part (if you don't mind my asking).

nice-noodles t1_j7fz7wi wrote

I lived in a few neighborhoods in Lower Manhattan during my 15 years in NYC: Tribeca, the Financial District, and most recently the East Village. We left when things shut down for COVID in March 2020. We lived with family on Long Island until Sept 2021, when we moved to Boston for my husband’s work. Then we moved to Providence last October.

Ghostwriter2057 t1_j7gh5p7 wrote

Nice! I moved there in 2000 ("small-town girl in the big city" aesthetic) & left for a while after 9/11. I returned for several stints over the years for work. I've only ever resided in Brooklyn or Queens. I've worked and volunteered in those areas of Manhattan, though.

But I will say that I commend you a great deal for living on Long Island, especially during COVID. I hope it was okay out there. Too many areas on Long Island give me either a "Blue Velvet" or a "Black Hole Sun" vibe.

Hope to see you around. :)

nice-noodles t1_j7godb2 wrote

Yeah, re: LI, our immediate neighborhood was ok. My husband’s family has been there since the 70s and they know a lot of the other families. But just a few minutes away, and I would see big old Trump flags and all that MAGA stuff. The plus side was that the woods and the beach were nearby.

Ghostwriter2057 t1_j7hf18b wrote

Thankfully, I stopped visiting long before that era of politics. I am glad you had a safe haven out there!

I remember the day my kids were playing out at one of the nature reserves & a well-off woman approached to chide me about my children getting dirty. Her kid was a toddler wearing some uncomfortable designer outfit that cost more than all of our outfits combined. I watched her manhandle the child to keep him out of the sandpit.

Every time I visited, there was some variation of this type of nitpicking interaction with the affluent except at the private school one of my kids attended in Freeport. Before that school was a public school where some of the parents were Goldman Sachs & Fortune 500 types. It was even worse.

I am a pretty chill person, but some of the residents tested the limits of my patience with snobbery in ways I have not experienced elsewhere. lol