Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Synchwave1 t1_jbt186w wrote

Affordable housing is important from a humanitarian perspective and a horrible investment. For a city facing long term budget deficits, it can’t afford to give up prime land targeting individuals who will provide very little to the economic growth and stability of the city.

It’s not the kindest take, but it’s reality.

relbatnrut t1_jbuhgqf wrote

If people don't have to spend 60% of their income on rent they can contribute more to the rest of the economy. That helps everyone.

ghogan1010 t1_jbui2nt wrote

And unless you’re looking to subsidize the private citizens who own those properties and charge rents based off supply and demand, Peter Pan is waiting for you in Neverland.

There’s a BILLION scenarios that would’ve could’ve should’ve. Let’s deal with what is. What is is a great opportunity for Providence to have a renaissance within the downtown and bordering areas. They can become a higher end community that attracts a lot of great businesses and reflective of a State Capitol that sits beautifully between Boston and New York. The benefits of that will be a city filled with vibrancy able to spend on other projects that can help affordable housing, etc.

relbatnrut t1_jbuiyhy wrote

> And unless you’re looking to subsidize the private citizens who own those properties and charge rents based off supply and demand, Peter Pan is waiting for you in Neverland. >

I'd rather have rent control but you do you

−2

ghogan1010 t1_jbujj76 wrote

Rent control won’t lower rents. It’ll slow the pace of rental increases. Something I’m completely on board with and I own rental properties. I think there’s been too much advantageous gouging in the last couple years.

Again reality vs fiction. You’re never going to eliminate the landlord/tenant dynamic. It’s been around forever in various forms. You can restrict, make it more tenant friendly, but at the end of the day tenancy/affordable housing does not accomplish much more than making a select group of people feel better about themselves. Rising tide raises all ships. Raise the tide of Providence economic situation, all classes will benefit. They won’t benefit downtown or in immediate areas, but they’ll benefit.

relbatnrut t1_jbukhf5 wrote

Trickle down sounds good but it never actually works

ghogan1010 t1_jbula6t wrote

Of course it does. The poorest of the poor in this country and this area live lives that people in other parts of the world or other parts of the country would kill for.

It’s a matter of perspective. Poor are never not going to be poor. There’s always going to be someone who has more than someone else. But success, growth, capitalism allow programs like Obamacare, voucher programs, snap benefits to exist. Progress requires success. It’s a step in the process most “community advocates” can’t seem to grasp. You can’t create something from nothing.

total_life_forever t1_jbtsf0s wrote

Your take is missing the corresponding, accompanying fact that, countrywide, corporations and billionaires should be properly taxed to address precisely this kind of situation.

It's really a glaring thing to omit. We know what the solution should be, it's just unpopular amongst political donors.

−1

ghogan1010 t1_jbtsv5p wrote

I don’t live in the world of make believe and utopia. In a perfect world a lot of things happen. In reality affordable housing doesn’t draw anything that historically leads to economic growth and prosperity.

If I want hypotheticals I’ll take a philosophy class. Business deals in what is it. Reality is reality regardless of what something should be. Affordable housing units can be a part of a broader initiative. The city is guilty of lacking forward planning.

total_life_forever t1_jbttfgn wrote

So you don't think change is achievable in the political progress? You don't believe in democracy? Because the solution is sitting right there.

Your self-defeating (and kinda smug) attitude is a major obstacle in attaining this.

−1

ghogan1010 t1_jbu2p3u wrote

I don’t think we value the same kind of change. I want progressive development to create solvency that enables the city to focus on humanitarian efforts. You can’t start at the bottom and work upwards, that’s not how the world works.

Unfortunately, those with the least to contribute at least in terms of job creation and revenue are the last to reap the benefits. It’s capitalism at work. I’m of the mindset you promote and develop a sound economic policy and you invest in entitlement with the reward of successful policy. There’s plenty of sections of the city and of Pawtucket and surrounding areas that would be perfect areas for affordable housing. Waterfront property minutes to downtown of the State Capital should literally never even be considered for such a project.