Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

legit_visualyimpared t1_irtumzs wrote

Have your cat replaced with a decent quality aftermarket cat and put a sign in your window that the car has an aftermarket cat. The aftermarket ones aren’t worth Jack shit. But the thieves are sometimes too dumb to identify aftermarkets and will sometimes steal them anyway. I do plenty of mechanic work in and near providence, if you PM me year/make/model and photos of where it was cut I can point you in the direction of the most cost effective way to put your car back on the road.

[deleted] t1_irtve80 wrote

aftermarket brands that are decent: AP, Walker, Magnaflow. off brand but okish: davico -they are local. most private label cats are made by AP or walker.

legit_visualyimpared t1_irtvmwr wrote

I’ve replaced dozens of cats. Brand doesn’t matter. The warranty is what matters. All aftermarket cats are mediocre at best. But as long as the warranty will swap them out if they go bad then it doesn’t matter

[deleted] t1_irtzb0e wrote

There are some cats that have 0 pgm content. They just are loaded with cerium to trick o2 sensors. They last about 500 miles before the cerium is used up. You really don't want to have those replaced every few months.

legit_visualyimpared t1_irtzils wrote

I’ve put $40 amazon cats on cars with no issues at all, I’ve also had walker cats go bad within a month. Brand really makes no difference. Get a good warranty, and buy something that’s in the middle of the price range.

Rickdemption t1_iru0t5j wrote

Just had mine stolen as well - I’m in the east side

leavingthecold t1_irtxto0 wrote

Sorry to hear but what area of Providence was this stolen at?

legit_visualyimpared t1_iru51kf wrote

They’re hitting the entire city. Just a few months ago there was a cat stolen from one Honda and then another Honda was stolen all together in front of my parents place in the west end.

mtnstoseaside t1_irv4j6s wrote

Yeah this is pretty common. Used to happen all the time when I lived in Denver too. They are after the precious metals inside it I think.

Far-Soup5169 t1_irw1wd4 wrote

They tend to prefer parking lots where they can hit a dozen vehicles at once. It’s been happening all over the city & surrounding towns, but apartment parking lots seem to be the biggest problem.

Juicy_J22 t1_iruhwww wrote

Massive issue in the Bay Area where I’ve moved to (miss RI ❤️) and sorry that happened to you. Doesn’t help you now but for others reading just a heads up that comprehensive insurance (at least my plan thru Geico) covers catalytic converters under theft so instead of 3000 for an OEM cat I just had to pay the couple hundred deductible.

BearsRpeopl2 OP t1_irx0hag wrote

yeah im from concord east bay. it seems we switched places. yeah my partner and i didn't have the right insurance but now we do. so it just blows all around

dinofishz t1_irxyztf wrote

for sure in the Bay Area, and maybe Providence as well, a catalytic converter shield is a good investment too for concerned others (a couple hundred bucks makes it way, way harder to steal)

massahoochie t1_iru11w8 wrote

Insurance claim?

Far-Soup5169 t1_irw1z33 wrote

Between the deductible & higher rates, there’s a good chance it’s cheaper to just get it repaired out-of-pocket.

jrprov1 t1_irvl5ex wrote

As someone already mentioned, you might be able to get your insurance to cover it. Not sure if auto insurance will (it might) but you can also look into your homeowners coverage if your vehicle was parked at home when the theft occurred. Talk to you insurance agent.

FrenchTrucks t1_irvf7xi wrote

Your car is primed to be hit again since you’re getting a new converter and the thieves know it. Hide your car in a garage for a while or something if possible.

Far-Soup5169 t1_irw28xe wrote

They also make “cat shields” for most vehicles. Like $200-300ish + installation. They basically weld a thick metal plate over the cat.

Not necessary for random people. But if you’ve been hit, or your neighborhood has problems & you’ve got a susceptible vehicle, then it’s cheaper than having to replace everything again and again.

Moelarrycheeze t1_itzljet wrote

Get it fixed, then find a big mud puddle over which to park the car

Steve-2112 t1_irtwmpx wrote

What will they steal when cars are full electric? Probably the $21k battery.

−19

hurricanetruther t1_irvjosk wrote

I've heard some bad arguments against electric vehicles. This one is Hall of Fame worthy.