Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

khinzeer t1_is28niq wrote

I love going there. It's one of my favorite places to go out with friends in the summer, I think the extra seating makes it more festive, and you never have to wait.

Restaurants and entertainment bring us a lot of tax revenue and a lot of decent working class jobs (i used to wait tables at constantinos/venda, it's a good place to work). Places like DePasquale Square bring that Boston/suburb money into Providence for dinner, and then those folks usually spend money across the city in the course of the evening. I think it's probably a good investment

I love chilling in public parks, but DePasquale square isn't that fun to hang out in: look at it: there are no public seats, it's all paved. There are two available, much nicer public parks (my favorite: the Bocci park and st. johns) within easy walking distance.....

I don't see the problem

Seasnek t1_is37620 wrote

Man I would love it if there was regular public seating fits a great spot I would sit there and read a book or draw. I never knew it was public! It def should be opened back up to the public

khinzeer t1_is37eq1 wrote

You make much use of the bocci park or St. John’s?

LivonSunday- t1_is3c9g0 wrote

That doesn’t feel too inviting when there’s old men playing bocce we need to take back the public domain I used to love reading around the fountain around 2010 my first apartment was on depasquale now it’s like Venda/ Gianfranco property smh

khinzeer t1_is3cktb wrote

Lol if you scared of old Italian bocci players, wait till you see drunk Italian twenty somethings. Maybe the neighborhood isn’t for you?

−3

LivonSunday- t1_is3cpx7 wrote

Idk if I used the word scared pretty sure I said unwelcome as a female it’s like they get entertained by catcalling and disrupting my art or book reading….

khinzeer t1_is3f76b wrote

What I’m trying to say is depasquale square as-is is pretty unique. we don’t have many other places in providence that are like it: car-free, diverse in terms of race/age/class, walkable to other fun stuff. The bars and restaurants are a big part of the vibe (not even taking account the tax revenue, jobs, etc.) and I think they should be encouraged.

On the other hand, we as a city are blessed with a TON of publicly available green space, fed hill included. There is something for everyone, but fed hill has a specific character.

If you didn’t like the bocci park because it’s full of fed hill people, you prob won’t like another park full of the same fed hill people.

−2

LivonSunday- t1_is3fp9c wrote

I enjoy anywhere anyone else would like to go, is it inappropriate that I asked to be respected as a human in those spaces…? Maybe instead of you telling me I should be more like those undesirable humans that have turned me away from wanting to hang out in open public places due to their bad behavior?

khinzeer t1_is5k69f wrote

Your comment is a little incoherent? You didn't really finish your thought in the last sentence?

I'm not telling you to be like anything, and I'm not condoning the social attitudes of elderly Italian-American men. However, they ain't gonna change, and fed hill is theirs.

As someone who grew up in providence hanging out in MUCH more hostile/dangerous parks than the Bocci court, I can tell you that enjoying public spaces in urban areas takes having a somewhat thick skin. They aren't for everyone, it is what it is.

I think you are representative of the type of person who is advocating replacing well-utilized, fun restaurant space with half-assed park space that you won't use and that will be under utilized generally.

−2

rustybullrake t1_is6q7dv wrote

I held off on responding to your initial "we should give public spaces maintained with taxpayer money to businesses because money and stuff" comment.

But just so you know, it's not a great look telling women to grow a thicker skin when it comes to being harassed by men in public. I'm sure you were unaware, but doing so can make you sound like an ignorant asshole.

khinzeer t1_is6rbrb wrote

I’m not telling her to grow thicker skin, I’m just pointing out that she is not going to use or like the institutions she’s advocating.

If someone doesn’t like neighborhood parks because they are open to the (often not-perfect) members of the public, it’s silly for them to advocate more public parks, especially when there are opportunity costs to establishing said parks.

−2

rustybullrake t1_is6tbm3 wrote

There's a square already there, no establishment necessary. Just get the restaurant to stop squatting on the whole thing.

>she is not going to use or like the institutions

Says who? According to what?

>If someone doesn’t like neighborhood parks because they are open to the (often not-perfect) members of the public

Oh gimme a break. You know that's not at all what she said, get outta here with this weak sauce.

I don't know why you're acting like you've got a personal stake in making sure that Constantino's gets to occupy the entirety of a public space, but you're not doing them any favors with the way you're going about it. Quit digging.

khinzeer t1_is6tvdg wrote

Uhh I’m there most weekends in the summer, and I love walkable, diverse spaces where you can buy food and support small businesses. I’d like there to be more of these places, including in underutilized parks.

I do have a personal stake in it.

Also (obviously) I enjoy arguing with you losers on reddit. It's a vice. It's fun for me.

LivonSunday- t1_is7x9dv wrote

People defending women being sexually harassed by the likes of you? You have personal stake not even living in the city…? Weir flec but ok 👌 I’m a social worker and quite often need public spaces to offer parents more than a room with a chair and desk for their kids- also if I decide I enjoy spending my time AGAIN MY as in subjective to me someone you don’t know… you seem like a troll and you really showed your a$$ with the thick skin comment for men sexually harassing me no matter where I am. I guess what I’m trying to say is… maybe your a loser babe 😘

khinzeer t1_is7xq6p wrote

…I’ve lived in the city limits providence since I was three months old.

LivonSunday- t1_is7xt50 wrote

Then your on Reddit lying saying your a business owner living in Boston weird as hell!

khinzeer t1_is7xw00 wrote

… I think you’re confused.

LivonSunday- t1_is7y5ki wrote

I think your a troll you don’t live in providence or your life is a lie on Reddit either one I don’t care cause you’re tenacity to wanna fight with people online is confusing and concerning I’m a woman that agreed restaurants are overtaking the square…. You’re still on about God even knows what thick skin bocce players who cares God bless you

khinzeer t1_is88kvy wrote

i apologize for being insensitive. obviously i get a *little worked up* about zoning issues in providence, but you are my neighbor, and i'm truly sorry you were made to feel unwelcome anywhere in providence.

LivonSunday- t1_is8a6bc wrote

thoughtful apology and I appreciate that. I understand how people can get furious over stuff that is minuscule to others thank you and again god bless

rustybullrake t1_is6ulna wrote

Ah yes, a public square completely blocked with private restaurant seating. How diverse. How walkable.

It's underutilized? Can't imagine why. Perhaps because no one can utilize it?

khinzeer t1_is6v4zt wrote

Oh you don't spend much time in fed hill huh? makes more sense now.

−2

rustybullrake t1_is6vs74 wrote

My guy, I am there every week for sfogliatelle and biscotti.

You've got a bad habit of making assumptions about people and acting like it's fact.

No need to get heated. Sounds like someone needs to grow a thicker skin?

Keep digging, I'll see myself out.

[deleted] t1_is6s30d wrote

[deleted]

khinzeer t1_is6sotv wrote

I live in the real world. I could ask these goombas to be nicer, but it would not change their behavior. So what does that mean? Physically remove them?

How would you advocate driving the elderly Italian men and sleepy homeless guys out of the park? Muscular police presence? Violent initial show of force followed by undercover enforcement?

On this sub there is a simultaneous ideological obsession w public spaces that’s combined w a fear and dislike of the types of people who will inevitably congregate in public providence parks.

−1

LivonSunday- t1_is7xnd8 wrote

I wanted to be the bigger person but your largest accomplishment on Reddit was getting roasted because you got jumped by 4 grown men in your own house had no proof and said how can I get money for this ☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

LivonSunday- t1_is3fho4 wrote

Actually I’ve enjoyed myself quite a bit since my last art project turned into men over 60 with mob mentality AnyWho been living on and off the hill the past 15 years I was just agreeing that DiPasquale is overtaken by the restaurants a common agreement among other people here… is there any reason you’re not asking them to leave the hill 😂😂😂

SideBarParty t1_is3hvpg wrote

No one from Boston is driving to Providence specifically to eat at any of the restaurants in DePasquale Square

−3

khinzeer t1_is3idg9 wrote

As someone who used to work there, I can tell you you’re incorrect. North end is played out.

SideBarParty t1_is3ioxb wrote

As someone who knows the best Italian restaurants in Boston are NOT in the north end… I still am telling you no one is fucking visiting Providence just to eat at the Plaza or Constantinos.

−4