Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Seasnek t1_iva10n6 wrote

What do you mean?

D-camchow t1_iva2oti wrote

went there a couple days ago. seems fine to me

sladeblade t1_ivadyiy wrote

There was an article in Providence Journal that painted the Co-Op in a bad light. From what I remember they post signs around the store about being LGBT friendly but front end managers don't seem to care for people's pronouns.

Good-Expression-4433 t1_ivajr2i wrote

I go there pretty regularly for quick produce as it's nearby. Never had any issues and staff has always been polite. It's a little expensive for every day things but Ill grab produce or a quick lunch every now and then and it's fine.

They're def not the best with things like pronouns and trans/gnc employees though from a news article about it and knowing someone who used to work there which kinda sucks.

glump1 t1_ivaqf6x wrote

I go there for groceries. I will say that it's deceptive to call it a co-op when it's in no way worker owned; it's a consumer-owned co-op.

I guess you pay for a membership, and then your groceries are cheaper. Even that seems like a tenuous definition of "consumer-owned," it kinda just seems like a rebranded cupon-deal. It's technically legally considered a co-op, but the people that work there don't get any piece of the pie, like they would if it were an actual co-op. Strikes me as pretty blatant greenwashing when I think about it.

jalderwood t1_ivbg5f4 wrote

i love urban greens. it is the only grocery on the west side and is well stocked with lots of good/unique/vegan items. during the pandemic they never ran out of.. anything? lol, they do run out of fresh bread pretty much daily. prices have steadily increased but are still reasonable.

maybe they should just take down the pride flags so people don't set their expectations too high, but even on that front it is a more progressive grocery than any other i've seen.

relbatnrut t1_ivcjdqw wrote

If you asked a bunch of people "what is a co-op" I think most people would think of consumer co-ops before workers co-ops, so I don't think it's deceptive. Consumer food co-ops are common across the US. Would be a whole lot better if it was a worker co-op though.

Hot-Muscle-9202 t1_ivhzwsb wrote

No, it is not the only grocery in the West End. El Tesoro further down Cranston Street is good sized and I can do most of my shopping there. Full meat counter and better prices on good quality produce than Stop and Shop. Unless I need, like, leeks or something.