Submitted by mindblwn2022 t3_10ahaxx in providence

Me, my girlfriend and our beloved cat Jaws moved to from Warwick to Providence a year ago. This was a huge mistake.

We live in the Smith Hill area. I underestimated just how dangerous the area was. I was more concerned for my girlfriend and Cats safety. Luckily, my girlfriend and cat haven't had any major instances.

I was jumped by 3 men in late July of 2022. A random act of violence. Right outside Providence Place Mall. Other than aggressive crack heads, Providence has been a interesting experience to say the least.

For what ever reason my first floor neighbors (I live on the second floor) randomly decided to either have a midlife crisis or start doing hard drugs. Possibly both. They went from normal, friendly people, to dangerous, violent, psychopaths. This started a few months ago.

Long story short they play OBNOXIOUSLY loud music, inside. It literally shakes my walls, floors, and furniture. They have knocked stuff off my walls, and caused lack of sleep. Of coarse I tried texting them, calling them, even knocking on their door. And for what ever reason 2 weeks ago, I knocked, asked him to turn the music down. Not off, just down...He went absolutely ballistic

It turned into me having to call Providence PD 3 times that night. They have him a ticket. Even though he punched, kicked, spit, on my door. Yelled threats, threw stuff at my door and ripped a stairs railing out of the wall. He than decides to hit my floor with a broom or something until 10:30 am. This all started the previous night at 11:30 pm.

My girlfriend has very serous and intense anxiety. She is a absolute wreck and lives in constant anxiety, because the music and banging start at random times. My cat hides alot now. He never used to do that.

It just started again tonight. I calmly knocked on his door, asked his wife to speak to him. She said he wasn't home . I tell her "tell him to come see me when he-"

She cuts me off with yelling and insults. I don't speak Spanish, it was half English half Spanish. Anyway, considering her husband is most certainly not a man, he gets home and starts punching doors. Yelling screaming. My girlfriend covers her ears in our bedroom, terrified.

I don't care about me. I don't care about my safety or my sleep. I care about her safety and her sleeping. We are that weird couple who loves our pets very much. So to see them like this...it's been fucking with me alot. I feel powerless, like I can't protect them. This has been very heavy on my mind and shoulders.

Anyway , as of typing this, they literally left the house 3 times to pick up people to have a makeshift party. Which is what they are doing right now. My girlfriend just left in a Uber to a friend's house as she is on the verge of a full blown mental brakedown.

And I'm just sitting here, waiting for anything to happen...

The landlord. He kind of is powerless in this situation. The only thing he can do is threaten to now renew their lease. But obviously we aren't talking about the brightest people. He's also out of state. Amd quite frankly seems annoyed with updates, questions, or news.

Obviously we are looking for a new place. We have been together for almost 10 years. No kids no drugs, we don't drink. No blemishes on credit scores like evictions. Never have been evicted. No criminal record of anykind. All that good stuff

Looking for a place has been very difficult and frustrating. We have the money, money is not the issue right now. Right now the problem is alot of people are looking, so if someone applies for the same place we do and they have a slightly better credit score, or no pets, make more annually we are instantly taken out of contention.

If you, or someone you know, had a studio apartment, a 1 bed room, a in-law apartment, a finished basement, garage, attic etcetera I don't care, and are interested in a very easy $1,500-$2,000 a month, please DM me so we can talk.

Haye shoveling snow? Haye raking leafs? I'll do it. Not to kiss ass, but because I used to enjoy that kinda thing when I lived in Warwick. Can't do yard work in the concrete jungle of Providence.

Want references? Absolutely. Want background checks? Absolutely. Want me to legally sign over my right kidney to you? You got it.

We can only stay 6 months- a year? Absolutely. Just please help us get out of here.

I'm a Chef for a restaurant on Federal Hill. My girlfriend is also in the restaurant industry. We mind our own business and very rarely is never have or even want company. Simple, polite and eager to give you money. Want first month and a security deposit? Again, Absolutely.

Obviously, if you are interested we can DM, text, or talk on the phone for more details.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

bbristow6 t1_j475x5o wrote

My building has an apartment available for $900/month! Through RentProv. It’s on Barstow St. quiet dead end with a park

ceramicferns220 t1_j46t65g wrote

I just saw this - so sorry about your situation and hope that you're able to get out quickly. If you've got any evidence of the neighbors making your apartment unsafe, you may have some legal recourse to either withhold rent but I'd consult a lawyer. There are a lot of low or no fee lawyers for this kind fo stuff!

​

https://www.reddit.com/r/RhodeIsland/comments/10axkte/condo_available_2br_providence_with_parking_in/

Lady-Aethelflaed t1_j46t38f wrote

Our neighbors just moved out and the place is still empty. Quiet house in Wayland Square. It is a two bedroom, maybe a bit out of your price range. But I’d give you our landlord’s info if you are interested. So sorry about your crazy neighbors :(

Gibbs101734 t1_j46x91d wrote

There's a place right before Wayland square that has a sign for studio, 1 and 2 bedroom apts. I believe it's waterman right before the intersection that makes it Wayland

howsyourlife t1_j47fj9l wrote

Check out Picerne properties, they're pretty transparent as far as availability goes.

So sorry to hear about getting jumped like that, unfortunately there's still a lot of scumbags and thugs in Providence looking to prey on innocent people especially in the Smith Hill / Branch / Charles area. Did you ever file a police report?

[deleted] t1_j4yre3f wrote

Welcome to the jungle.

leavingthecold t1_j48gf1k wrote

This is a good write up. I know this area really well and what type of people live here.

For those of you who are interested to move to places like Smith Hill and want to live in a 2 to 3 floor apartment. This is a good write up. I know this area really well and who lives there.

This is the nonsense you will have to deal with just because you want to live in the city. This is the multicultural diversity nonsense you will get. You will be roommates with people who have different cultural norms than you. If you value peace and quiet this aint the place. There are people here who blast music in their house or cars as soon they wake up, not including any other noise from vehicles or makeshift car garages.

Smith Hill went into white flight right around the 80's as they started to bring in refugees from Laos and Cambodia after the Vietnam War, those communities have remained in tact there up 2018-2019 as even a majority of them have moved out , the only ones left either own a home or living in cheap apartments. Now you have a bunch more Hispanics moving in , as you can see the increase in cars on the street and noise , there's also a quasi homeless shelter across the street from 7-11, I never in 30 years have seen Smith Hill like this. You also have ghetto retards from other areas moving in as well.

I remember seeing one triple decker with all Southeast Asians occupying it, it happen to be gang hang out but surprisingly shit didn't hit the fan until the landlord let these really trashy black and white trash people move in. I honestly think the landlord got some kickback from the city to house these low life trash drug addicts from the burbs. A poor working class family just wants peace and quiet but now you have these losers.

−6

Jerkeyjoe t1_j48yea9 wrote

Most racist shit I've read all day.

leavingthecold t1_j48zmzd wrote

Whats so racist about this, this is a real life observation not a opinion. If you lived there or live there currently you will know what I'm talking about.

Jerkeyjoe t1_j493ftq wrote

I've lived in Providence for 7 years and personally I've never had an issue with multicultural diversity "nonsense". I guess I just don't understand how the op's problem has to do with race or culture, sounds like they have shit neighbors.

To be fair to your point though, if given the choice I wouldn't live in smith hill.

leavingthecold t1_j4axd84 wrote

You live in Providence for 7 years, I'm gonna say my insight is way more tenured. Its definitely a culture problem when it comes to noise. 6-7 am people blasting loud music from their homes not realizing the shit was built in the late 1800's or people with loud ass speaker with the bass at max capacity. Does that happen in the non multicultural areas of Providence?

airforcereserve t1_j4hoaki wrote

I've seen this play out over the last decade in the neighborhoods west of Dexter Park but with a happy ending. The south asian households tended to take pride in their surroundings which made progressive upper middle class white people feel safe enough to become their neighbors. Once a demographic tipping point was reached the south asian households started getting above market offers for their homes which they couldn't resist. Smith Hill largely went in the opposite direction with the Providence Housing Authority buying up homes for pennies on the dollar during the last recession and landlords renting to section 8 criminals instead of market rate working people.