Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

allhailthehale t1_j64jzf5 wrote

I don't understand why they're in such rough shape. I'm sure Covid was stressful in many ways, but business-wise it feels like it should have actually really helped them. Every time I go it feels like there's plenty of people there.

I want them to exist, sure-- it's super convienent to have it there and I'm supportive of coops. Everyone wants a feel-good local market. But they're so expensive that it doesn't feel like they're really addressing the food desert issue for the people most affected by it. And if they're not really serving a community purpose beyond being a bougie grocery store it's hard to want to prop them up. Idk. I wish that the call for donations included more more transparency around what is wrong and what the plan is.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j64msi6 wrote

I wouldn't want to oversimplify it too much but Trader Joe's opening and splitting the hipster market share probably was a part of it.

allhailthehale t1_j64q2pf wrote

I'm sure that TJs (and Rory's) opening didn't help, but it seems like they've been struggling for quite a while-- like even before they got rid of the last GM.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j64t4n0 wrote

Oh definitely, competition didn't create their problems. But I think the competition probably increased the severity and urgency.

WickedDog310 t1_j65k4oo wrote

You're not wrong, but TJ's opened what 2/3 months ago? They had to have been in rough shape already if 3 months of competition has driven them to this

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j65mrue wrote

I'd imagine the business model probably limits the margins on what they're actually making per customer. In a situation like that, without the buoy of multiple locations, a small hit can have a pretty big impact.