Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

[deleted] t1_j9yugwh wrote

[deleted]

heraus t1_j9yx1tt wrote

It was going to be the base for the Capitol Police and some other agencies post-renovation, but now there’s some fighting over which agencies will actually get to live there since the Youngkin admin inherited the project lol.

[deleted] t1_j9z0ada wrote

[deleted]

dreww4546 t1_j9zaoq3 wrote

I used to know someone who's mother worked in the tower. I kept angling for a tour, but....

DeepTry9555 t1_ja1les1 wrote

Their are no accessible rooms in the tower. In fact the entire top floor is a facade and houses all the hvac machinery. The steeple is mostly hollow. The clock faces are cool from the outside but the guts have replaced by a wholly unimpressive modern drive. Cool fact, in the spire some signatures from the original construction in the late 1800s and early 1900s are still legible on the walls. Got a bunch of pictures if you’d like to see them! Been working on this project for 3 years now!

againer t1_j9z3pah wrote

I really hope they kept as much of the original interior. That place is filled with beautiful wood work.

WhalerBum t1_j9z7bpt wrote

Tektonics was tasked with replicating a lot of the wood moulding to replace any original pieces that needed it. Pretty amazing. https://www.tektonics.com/oldcityhall

againer t1_j9zbup0 wrote

Thanks for this! Cool. I can't wait to see their work. That building was like stepping into a time machine to the early 1 20th century.

VictorVonDoopressed t1_j9zjvp9 wrote

I worked for the company that did the renovations (IT & Ops) and I would always volunteer myself to bring food to our employees inside so I could check the place out. Hands down one of the coolest buildings in the whole city.

Fratghanistan t1_j9zke9i wrote

Yes, put a police station in there. Hopefully some secret passages and puzzles to solve as well.