Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Danger-Moose t1_j89y8nu wrote

And the pumps failed because the generators for the pumps were... Flooded. It's similar to how so many complexes had generators in flooded basements in Sandy up north.

Jsprdn t1_j8agta0 wrote

I lived in NYC then and had to deliver emergency generators to Manhattan hospitals during that shitstorm. Problem was their generators were up on the roof but the fuel tanks were in the basements..

Ese_Americano t1_j8a6sd5 wrote

Would the fix be to have generators above the future-potential floodwaters, or, generators at multiple levels of a pump house?

dreww4546 t1_j8an7wu wrote

The problem wasn't that generators failed, it was that this has been a flood zone since richmonds first days as a city.

Rain came down at an unprecedented rate during gaston and there was no where for the water to drain too.

Ese_Americano t1_j8bpz1k wrote

Got it. Any way you can you answer my question?

dreww4546 t1_j8bubeo wrote

After Gaston, the army Corp of engineers pretty much said there is no pump system that would be able to manage a foot of rain being funneled down into the bottom in an hour. But politics being what they are more money was spent

I really don't know what is happening in the pic. I just wanted to chime in on Gaston flooding.

Ese_Americano t1_j8fgwh4 wrote

Thank you for this response. I greatly appreciate it! Great insight. RVA is as RVA DOES!