Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

choicebutts t1_j9daoos wrote

We rarely have terrifying natural disasters.

icepick314 t1_j9f41no wrote

That one earthquake though...

FearingEmu1 t1_j9gw9f0 wrote

I had just finished my senior year of high school when that happened, and one of my friends from HS told me he was on the lawnmower when the 'quake happened. He literally had no idea it happened until like an hour later (it was Powhatan, so we felt a pretty good tremor out that way). No idea how much it shook Henrico or Richmond tho.

My parents were devastated by the single lawn chair that had fallen over from the destruction.

teknobable t1_j9h5wt0 wrote

I was in a bike shop so I was very aware when literally everything started rattling but I was definitely more confused than scared

yourfriendkyle t1_j9ezs22 wrote

For real, it’s a reasonably temperate area, especially if you’re closer to the mountains

[deleted] t1_j9dmfum wrote

[deleted]

−47

airquotesNotAtWork t1_j9dn06p wrote

All of these are usually worse in other parts of the country, natural disasters here are mid in both frequency and intensity

Dead_Hours t1_j9dqstl wrote

As someone that experienced Isabel and Katrina I agree.

threecolorless t1_j9f6dhw wrote

Agreed, it's nice for a worst case hurricane scenario to be "oh no, we lost power for a week and can't drive some roads due to trees/flooding" rather than "oh no, our entire community has been destroyed and several of our friends drowned"

choicebutts t1_j9dnbl5 wrote

I've lived in Virginia most of my life and the weather here is nothing compared to Indiana's. A severe thunderstorm and tornado warning here is just a regular afternoon storm there. The thunderstorms in Indiana scared the living shit out of me. Winters there are absolutely brutal and seem to go on forever. Virginia is positively placid compared to the midwest.

JustKatB t1_j9hm65y wrote

I've lived in lower Michigan and agree, storms here* are so mild.

DeviantAnthro t1_j9f75zg wrote

The 30 years of weather I've experienced here can't compare to even that one night i got stuck in a storm in Kansas.