Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Charles_Britt t1_ja3ymxu wrote

Its so terrible. Im 20 yrs old now but jesus christ there is nowhere. Maybe thats hyperbolic. I go to group rides, parties, etc etc. But the social landscape people my age are facing is sooooooo much more barren than the one our parents were afforded. No wonder we all joke about wanting to kill ourselves. Everywhere we could find community or some kind of spontaneous connection has been churned up into ash and rubel.

DustySleeve t1_ja47uwh wrote

Ive been tossing around this idea that yall were raised by post columbine basket cases who, ironically, drove their kids to find their third spaces in tribalistic hate corners of the internet based on inherited identity rather than proximity once iphones became widely accessible. Social bonds are precious and worth defending, but shit goes south fast without a level head around. Social capital is both everything and baseless without a sense of respect and true role models. Troll-y gamers come to mind. Anyway good luck youngn, we're all in this together, its all hands on deck to make it better

KDRadio1 t1_ja57bze wrote

I’m closer to 40 than 30 but I was just thinking about this the other day. I remember how AOL (lol) chat rooms or even MySpace was on the internet, but seemed to partner well with in person socializing. I think maybe because it wasn’t so universally used, and maybe not as intrusive I don’t know.

I love the internet, I just wish it was still less algorithms and more intentional navigation. If that makes sense. It’s just so “noisy” out there now.

Anyway, I’m an introvert and even I am missing real human experiences these days.

Charles_Britt t1_ja5c3pi wrote

I agree with you totally about intentional navigation. Feels like the internet is just 5 big websites that everyone goes to.

−1