Submitted by Puzzleheaded_Base10 t3_118ilmi in rva

Downsizing soon and have a lot of old family furniture that's in pretty good shape. Does anyone have recommendations as to where (specifically) to sell it? I've got a couple dressers, a table, and a buffet.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

fr0bert t1_j9heqvu wrote

You're gonna learn quick that people want 2nd hand furniture for free or cheap and antique dealers will offer close to nothing for it.

vtbeavens t1_j9hf8or wrote

Furniture has taken a beating in terms of value the last 20 years.

Turns out that we don't care as much about ornate, non-functional furniture as much as our parents did.

RVA_Liair t1_j9hfa1r wrote

Auction houses maybe? Cannon Auctions is pretty good.

MaryDellamorte t1_j9hgn5b wrote

Depends on what it is, do you have any pictures? I can give a more detailed response with photos.

dreww4546 t1_j9hgrs7 wrote

It may be worth more as a tax deductible donation to goodwill or somewhere similar. This way you don't have to be insulted by lowball offers from dealers.

popsrcr t1_j9hjrvl wrote

Yeah, I have some pretty nice dressers, but folks don’t want heavy oak furniture any more.

gdtrfb804 t1_j9hlja4 wrote

Facebook Marketplace. Price it reasonably. If it's in good condition, it will sell. As someone else mentioned, furniture resale values are abysmal right now. Price it to sell, not what you think it might be worth. Good luck.

cassiopeia69 t1_j9hoze1 wrote

What kind of furniture is it, stylistically? See a name on the bottom or back of the pieces?

Herownself t1_j9hyhl1 wrote

If you have photos, I might be interested in a piece or two

heraus t1_j9ibqha wrote

I mean if it’s a storied brand like Henkel Harris or Suter’s, you can do well. But most folks aren’t just letting that stuff go. I mean, if it’s actually nice stuff, maybe consider consigning it with a place like Izzie’s.

professorsalamander t1_j9if9e2 wrote

I recently donated to furbish thrift. They just opened and all proceeds go towards animal welfare. Looks like the have a truck for pickups too!

Totallamer t1_j9ilpjg wrote

What style is it? Could be worth $$$, could be worthless.

cassiopeia69 t1_j9k86hg wrote

My mom just sold a shit ton of Henkel Harris and she got next to nothing from them thru Cannon. She was so upset but I told her people aren't really into traditional furniture, even if it's made well.

cassiopeia69 t1_j9k8hnj wrote

Thanks for the reply! I think you will have the most luck and get the most bang for your buck on Marketplace. The furniture is pretty but this style is not what most people are looking for these days. Plus you can ask them to come to you to pick it up!

MaryDellamorte t1_j9k8lvv wrote

Just checked them out. Neat pieces but nothing worth a lot of money. Auction houses won’t want it. Your best bet is Facebook marketplace and if it doesn’t sell, maybe try giving it away because someone will definitely come take it off your hands.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j9kl037 wrote

if it's mid century modern there's a good market for it. If it isn't, there isn't.

Which is great for someone like me that actually likes mahogany furniture and appreciates good craftsmanship. I'll take a piece of furniture that has lasted 100 years and will go another 100 without thinking over disposable Ikea crap any day

Gold_Actuary_ t1_j9kmlyg wrote

Cannon auction? I didn’t have a god experience buying from them, but that is the only place I can think of right now.