Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BreathAffectionate65 t1_je649yd wrote

They need lights and overhead walkways. That literally would eliminate these problems. They also need to stop letting cars park ALL THE WAY up to the corner where it makes it impossible to see when you want to go straight or make a turn

SandingNovation t1_je66l1i wrote

Yesssss. I drive a Corolla and it is literally impossible to see anything when you try to pull out onto a street in this city because there's a Chevy suburban pulled up to the edge of the curb on one side and an f-250 on the other

BureauOfBureaucrats t1_je78mou wrote

It doesn’t help that a 2023 F-150 is about the same size as a 2003 F-350. Trucks and SUVs are too big and should be regulated in terms of height. Downvote away.

now0w t1_je6kto6 wrote

This is probably the thing I hate most about driving around Richmond on a daily basis. The vast majority of times I try to turn onto another street my view is completely blocked by cars parked right up to those corners. You'd think driving an SUV and having a higher vantage point would help, but honestly I still can't see shit and it stresses me out every time. I just want to make a damn turn without perpetually being terrified of taking out a pedestrian.

Infamous_Fly1886 t1_je954ho wrote

I drive a lifted ford explorer and still have trouble seeing so I understand

Dog_Dad_1989 OP t1_je6li1d wrote

The blind turns are horrifying! There are near misses by my house on a daily basis and I have witnessed a few accidents

iWannaCupOfJoe t1_je6j598 wrote

Overhead walkways are a dumb and expensive idea that would never realistically work. They are too big for most parts of town, and would inhibit people who can't take steps. If you build a ramp they wouldn't fit anywhere.

Drivers need to be impeded by infrastructure to feel unsafe and uncomfortable. That feeling will cause them to slow down and be more careful 9 out of 10 times. For the 1 out of 10 hopefully they wreck their vehicle prior to killing a vulnerable road user.

BreathAffectionate65 t1_je6kxf9 wrote

How is it dumb when it works to cut down “accidental deaths 😒it worked when the bike races came to the city. I’d rather have my money go towards that than the new plants they are putting on the sidewalk by the DMV

iWannaCupOfJoe t1_je6ozvi wrote

Do you know how many intersections there are in the city? Do you honestly think there is room to build pedestrian walkways over every intersection? The sidewalks are not wide enough to support that sort of infrastructure, and people wouldn’t want to walk up a full flight of stairs to cross the street.

BreathAffectionate65 t1_je6pwru wrote

Have you lived in an actual city? Richmond isn’t that big & most intersections don’t need one, just the ones that cause the most problems, which aren’t a lot. Maybe a handful, which usually are the ones in the fan & Carytown. Most people here know how to walk but most don’t know how to “properly” drive & obey traffic laws cause most don’t know them.