Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

WoodwickVonRazzle t1_jdvgw8j wrote

Question for some of you engineering students: are old microwaves dangerous so long as all functionality is still there?

I have an old JCPenny microwave from the 80s with a large capacity that I just can’t convince myself to replace. She’s a beautiful machine that only needs smacked due to rattles every few weeks. They don’t make things like this anymore

foccee t1_jdvrgpe wrote

The thing to be aware of is the capacitor, which stores electrical charge even after you unplug it. Depending on a number of factors this charge can stay present for days after unplugging your microwave.

Research how to manually discharge the capacitor of your model microwave (if it's even possible with your older model) and do this as soon as you're able to, and then do it again for good measure before you start your work in earnest.

It's electricity and it can hurt you, know the risks, etc. etc.

WoodwickVonRazzle t1_jdw00uh wrote

Appreciate it I had no idea it would keep charge for so long, cool stuff!

However it isn’t broken quite yet I was just making sure that after so many years it was still safe. Didn’t know if older ones leaked more electromagnetic radiation than todays models.

foccee t1_jdw0uws wrote

Oh! I thought you were asking because you were looking to open it up and repair the rattle.

Old microwaves are generally as safe as new ones. Check the seal around the door as well as the front glass for damage, where radiation could leak through. If you want to be super sure and have some change to spare, you should be able to find a "microwave detector" or "microwave leak detector kit" to use.