Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

midsouthmouth t1_isvnqa0 wrote

You make some good points there about the difference in barriers to gun violence, but I think you miss something. Overall US culture can help transform those "bubbas" into inmates, whether due to workplace violence, domestic violence, bar fights that ramp up, or drug deals. Domestic terror through mass shootings is sad but still rare compared to all that. No, not every guy winds up popping off or getting caught and convicted. The easier access helps sow more chaos.

kilofoxtrotfour t1_isvpq6z wrote

Very true. I see Hollywood, and the Gun Culture as major drivers of violence. Hollywood has "normalized" violence acts, made it cool, and owning a gun as part of getting your "man card". I work on a Rescue Squad & currently working on getting my Paramedic license, between that & working in the prison system, it's amazing the level of suffering some people will inflict on their neighbor or spouse. I just shake my head some days. We roll up Code-3 to find someone beaten within inches of their life, and there's no gun involved. That's really the difference between a gun & no gun. A girlfriend shot multiple times & dead, versus unspeakable pain & lifelong injuries. How in the f*ck did we get to the point where this was a social norm? I get mad a people, mad as hell some days. I simply walk way from it. Been doing that for 46 years, it's not that difficult.