Submitted by brypen t3_y1leiq in rva

My Hyundai failed inspection today due to electrical issues with the lights and signals. The shop I was at referred me to the dealerships to get it fixed, however, both of the local Hyundai shops are booked up until the second-third week of November. Does anyone have any suggestions for a shop/mechanic that could get this done sooner?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

freakame t1_iry17mw wrote

TBH, talk to some car stereo places. They're pretty good at chasing electrical issues specifically.

KiloLee t1_irymmnn wrote

Just please don't go to rpm. They've posted a lot of pictures on Facebook page, and it looks like there is a lot of really really shitty work being done there

Top-Necessary-992 t1_iryodwj wrote

If you take it to the dealer, if you have some faulty wiring, they might want to replace a potentially very expensive wiring harness, whereas a private mechanic may be able to splice some wires if they can find the break. Just a liability issue.

Top-Necessary-992 t1_iryq9oi wrote

Unfortunately I work on my own vehicles, so I don’t know who to recommend. Electrical is tricky because it can be very tough to diagnose sometimes. Unless it’s a problem endemic to your year/make/model or something obvious like a bad fuse or relay, the first shop would have sorted it out. Something with the lights and signals could have to do with the steering column switch. What’s wrong exactly? What year and model is it?

Top-Necessary-992 t1_iryufs0 wrote

Once you have your signal bulb out you can clean the connections and maybe pry the contact in the bulb holder up a little to make sure it’s making good contact. This video shows a lot of other stuff but also how to pry the connector up a little. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yxzr28zLrxM If you don’t feel comfortable with this, really any shop should be able to fix a bad ground. Just go somewhere with good reviews. Tell them what the problem is and you should just be looking at an hour of shop time. Shouldn’t need any new parts.