Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Jhonny30 t1_iu764i4 wrote

Just saying you do know it is legal in Richmond to take all of those dirty needles and exchange them for clean ones right? It may be unsightly but if you also for free could provide clean needles in place of the dirty ones at least you would be helping out the community that you are saying that you cater towards. If you have been doing this for people on the street for 8 years as you say many times I am sorry but shouldn't you know how some people are not all but some?

−115

CoffeePeddlerRVA OP t1_iu77lv4 wrote

First, we’re not catering to the unhoused, they are simply part of the community within which we operate. We’re not here to run a needle-exchange.

Regarding ‘knowing’ them, there are too many new faces each day of late. We’ve never seen this many unhoused people. From what they tell us, Richmond is a destination for them because rural municipalities ship them here, knowing there are more resources for them. They also independently seek Richmond out for the same reasons.

Jhonny30 t1_iu7b9k7 wrote

Ok I am not trying to say you are doing anything wrong it is your place and you have complete rights to do whatever you would like. However you say in the original post you cater to the unhoused they say you do not cater to them that they are part of the "community within which we operate" if that is the case why not just refuse them access? I understand you are trying to be nice but if you really wanted to you could just refuse correct? Why post here if you were not wanting to have an open discussion on the situation at hand?

−45

J4663rw0ck t1_iu798ou wrote

You would ask a random business to deal with physical and biohazard risk of collecting used needles?

Needle exchanges can have a place, but it is most certainly not a random business not specifically set up to facilitate that kind of service.

Jhonny30 t1_iu7ana3 wrote

I would never ask anything of the sort but if this even is a business after 8 years having this niceness to the community why complain? They could just as easily stop what they are doing and that would be there right for people taking advantage of them. I am not saying that they should or should not collect needles I just thought if they want to continue doing this they would be able to help those that are leaving dirty needles with another free refugee (like a bathroom) that would be a help to the community. They would already have to collect biohazard materials ie. Dirty needles so why not turn it into a positive?

−35

FARTBOSS420 t1_iu7m9at wrote

Their* right. Mofo.

>I am not saying that they should or should not collect needles I just thought if they want to continue doing this they would be able to help those that are leaving dirty needles with another free refugee (like a bathroom) that would be a help to the community.

Does this sentence mean...? Like... You're saying... If OP keeps collecting dirty needles in their bathroom instead of them ending up on the street, that's the positive? OP had a good thing going for 8 years then it went to shit so they made a post.

Also who complain to who? Eh. OP sees the not-so-permantently sheltered being less appreciative of the good natured as another brick in our wall of anger and desperation increasing the last few years. They vented about that. Their vent post got upvotes. You could easily stop what you're doing, which I believe is prob smoking mids and drinking box wine straight out the bag. Hopefully

Jhonny30 t1_iu7nd4j wrote

Lol thank you sorry my English sucks.

Not at all I was just giving a different approach to the situation Richmond is one of many places that does clean needle exchange I thought it was aa good option for those that apparently trust there to do what they need to do I would rather people have a safe place than no place. But that is not up to me it is up to the owner just my opinion on the matter

I ment complaining in general? If your going to help help thos you can if not do not I am not sure why that is a hard concept? I appreciate them venting this is their opinion of there situation but am I not allowed to give my own feed back? You can like it or you can not that is up to you either is acceptable.

And no I would never stop giving my opinion. But just to let you know I do not smoke and do not like wine I am not a suburban mom lol

WorldsBestPapa t1_iu9hdko wrote

Free needle exchanges have failed in every city they operate in. There are more needles on the streets of NYC and San Fran than there were in the past. It’s just virtue signaling .

−1

Jhonny30 t1_iu7676c wrote

But also yes I agree in general people do suck lol

−6