Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Remerez OP t1_iqw2efd wrote

I think the issue is power is seen as righteousness in state government and there is no accountability of the leadership to their employees. It's why I posted in the original comment about a fellow coworker that is female that was also facing sexism.

I think it's more a problem of leadership in state government not being reviewed often, or trained well enough. It's like the higher up you go in the Virginia state government the less accountable and more protected you are. That should not be the case

There is no such thing as a job satisfaction survey here or even a manager satisfaction survey. There is no way for a manager to get reviewed by the people they have power over. At least nowhere, I work in Virginia. To me, that shows a huge lack of accountability.

augie_wartooth t1_iqw2vy5 wrote

I don’t disagree about state government, as I also work for state government. However, what you’re describing sounds like a systemic problem having nothing to do with gender.

Remerez OP t1_iqw3dit wrote

I think the systemic problem opens the door for people in positions of power to judge, hire, and fire using gender as a preferred metric. When a leader is not held accountable then whatever "ism" that leader has is allowed to fester and grow. In my managers case, it's sexism, but it could be another ism depending on the leader.

It's bizarre I am getting downvoted for saying precisely what another person on here is getting upvoted from. It's almost like some of y'all can't see past my gender when judging this situation.

ZephyrInfernum t1_iqxh2zs wrote

This sub is weird that way. I got heavily downvoted for pointing out first amendment rights, before so...

Virginia has a lot of the old south still attached. Mandatory chivalry is part of that if you're working with any kind of older demographic. You're a man. Why wouldn't you help the little ole office ladies?

If it bothers you, document document document. Then go to HR.

−1