Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TransSara t1_itnnost wrote

Tell them to give you a fail sticker. You have 15 days to get it fixed and reinspected. I would take it to another shop and see what they say. Also don’t let them give you the “I can’t let you leave with it because it’s not safe” line. That’s total bs.

ztheday t1_itnotiu wrote

Thanks. That's another concern. I don't want to have to argue with them to get my car back.

i_need_a_lift t1_itnppy7 wrote

You don't have to justify it to them, but if you feel the need to, you can always just tell them you have a friend who's going to fix it for free.

BobbyFuckingB t1_itnu1fh wrote

Take the rejection sticker off before you go somewhere else

oldguy_on_the_wire t1_itoh0om wrote

Somehow that sounds illegal as well as sketch AF.

KiloLee t1_itp1bc0 wrote

It's not, it just takes away any "power of suggestion" for things to fail for the second inspector (rejection stickers have boxes to check, showing general areas like suspension, lights, tires, etc).

But if it fails again, they won't issue a new rejection sticker for you, they'll just leave it blank. Not to mention the obvious attention from the cops it will draw when driving around

BlueXTC t1_itpah26 wrote

A rejection sticker will invalidate your insurance coverage so know that going in if you choose the route that is being suggested. It has been deemed "unsafe" even if it is BS. I had a similar situation and took it across the street to another inspection. Told him my concerns and he reinspected and found nothing wrong. He took the rejection sticker with him when he went across the street to talk to their service manager.

After that, every maintenance visit I had to do using the contract I had purchased with the car I always asked "how are the brakes". For almost 2 years I was always told they were fine. I finally replaced them about 3 years later.

burledw t1_itpnajn wrote

Never heard this before are you sure?

BlueXTC t1_itprfe6 wrote

Yes. I owned and operated an auto repair shop in the past. You can verify this with your insurance carrier.

burledw t1_itprywt wrote

That seems it would be up to individual insurance carriers and be case by case because the state definitely advises that you are to drive as normal with a rejection sticker until you can be reinspected.

OopsImACrow t1_itpj708 wrote

go to Preston’s on Patterson Ave and Starling. my dad’s Honda Civic was given a false-failure, and when he took it to them they said there wasn’t a problem with the car. they’re a really great company, I’ve had the pleasure of working with them on my old Mini Cooper in the past.