Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

blueskieslemontrees t1_itvfww8 wrote

I alsondeal with high anxiety that is very focused on safety. As an example, I have never been anxious walking through Carytown with just 1 friend, or visiting the Jefferson hotel with a single companion. When I am in the city even in evenings, with my husband, I feel safe. I havent really been street harassed. But if its just me running to a shop on my own, midday, I really pay attention to whats between where I park and the shop door to decide where to park.

You will see a lot of "graffiti" here but also a lot of commissioned murals. So don't assume every painted wall is vandalism. We also have like top 3 in the country "tattoos per capita" so a heavily tattooed individual means honestly nothing in terms of their association. I have a friend who is director level at a fortune 500 company here in town with 2 full sleeves of tattoos. And he leads worship band at his church.

So some of your usual markers may not be true danger flags. But stay alert. Make it obvious you are paying attention to your surroundings, and again, travel with companions after dark when able.

Extreme_Necessary_56 OP t1_itvksi5 wrote

I’ve dealt with a lot of street harassments from my city, but most times,I ignore the catcalling and find a way to get out of the situation. It really sucks. Also, I’m majoring in visual arts! So every time I see murals or graffiti art, I stand there and admire it and never question wether if it’s vandalism or not lol. I’m sure I will see some interesting characters in the art department with tattoos and dyed hairs. That will sure get me used to not judge people by their looks.

generalburnsthighs t1_itvo855 wrote

Richmond is the third most tattooed city in America. You won't just see tattoos in the art department, you'll see them on moms and dads with their babies in the grocery store! A few of your professors probably have them. You'll see so many tattooed people you'll stop noticing!

Extreme_Necessary_56 OP t1_itvoxws wrote

That sounds so cool! I myself consider getting a tattoo during my time there. Do you have any places to recommend?

GaimanitePkat t1_itvqhqd wrote

Since we have so many tattoo shops with good reputations, it really depends a lot on what style you want and what your budget is. I'd say to budget at least $300 for a small one that is good. (This includes tip)

If you like anime or cute things, Black Rabbit Tattoo's girls are awesome. Salvation Tattoo is right on campus and all their artists are incredibly talented, they do more traditional and neotraditional. Just search "tattoo" in this sub and you'll get lots of recs!

Ditovontease t1_itvqsw2 wrote

All of mine are from All for One near campus, they do Friday the 13th flash tattoos for $13 ($20 with tip). So January 13, plan for it lol

FlailingOctane t1_itw5uk7 wrote

i’ve had work done by two amazing artists at Salvation Tattoo, love the pieces.