Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hiddenrealism t1_iud5dr3 wrote

George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Madison, Monroe etc..

Presidents owned slaves also. Do we delete them from our history books, take down their monuments also?

−32

Coma_Potion t1_iudcb95 wrote

What do you actually stand to lose if we teach that the founders were fallible and flawed individuals? Your ability to idolize mere men as supermen? I don’t get it, they were often quite literally the local aristocrats living at the top of the hill.

Why the impulse towards rote idolatry? It’s good to you to have a dearth of nuanced understanding? You can criticize the country and still love it, it’s willful simple-mindedness to say otherwise

jennbo t1_iudall7 wrote

I think so. We have glorified and deified people to the extent that we are unable to learn actual history about them. No historical figure should be off-limits to criticism, and I find it strange that so people are offended by criticism of people who aren’t alive, who they never met. So offended by reality and education.

Regardless, there’s a difference between people who owned slaves (kind of, anyway) and people who were willing to die themselves and leave the country over their right to continue a practice that was being made illegal worldwide, that was being heavily debated. By time the Civil War rolled around, abolitionism was a mainstream ethical movement and frankly, only really unethical people (or really rich people) were still promoting it and rounding up support for their cause by saying “the north wants to take away your rights.”

sunlightdrop t1_iudhyu6 wrote

I mean maybe, if conservatives weren't constantly fighting against teaching children the actual racial history of these historical figures

justbecauseiluvthis t1_iud7dnw wrote

Absolutely

George ripped enslaved people's teeth out of their mouth for his own dentures.

Thomas raped his enslaved people

individual issues, I'm sure we could fill books

WhiteLightningLuna t1_iudhy1i wrote

Let’s not pretend there are stark differences between these characters, primarily the fact that the founding fathers didn’t wage a war with the primary and singular intention of maintaining slavery, not only making them slavers, but traitors as well.

The founding fathers were slavers. This should be highlighted in their histories, the same as their positive achievements and impacts on our history.

Treat confederate icons like Hitler. Teach and condemn dont idolize

GrandmaPoses t1_iudlst5 wrote

Stop conflating the removal of statues with removal from history books. This is the conservative line that by removing statues we are “deleting history”. This is a false equivalency. Statues like these are not history lessons, they are celebrations of historical figures. And no, we do not want to celebrate these individuals.

mywar79 t1_iueiosg wrote

What about the erasure of Dwayne Camacho? Just because he plied his trade in the squared circle and parlayed his generational talent at the grunt and graps game into the presidency he's relegated to the dustbin of history.

Charlesinrichmond t1_iudca2m wrote

There is a big difference. The confederates ONLY thing was enslaving blacks. Not like the founding fathers, for whom it was a blot on very positive records.

−1