Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wagonboss t1_iy49jhp wrote

Serious question:

I’m a firefighter, have a thin red line flag on my truck that I acquired after the second death of a close friend. If seen, do people remotely think I’m this kind of person?

I know what thin blue line flags stand for, especially after all the protests, but I wonder if it’s an assumption about everyone in public safety

Edit: add’l context

nartarf t1_iy4ezxp wrote

There isn’t an ounce of hate for firefighters out there, but creating a new flag out of the American flag seems a little wrong. I could see how someone might conflate the two.

TheLookoutGrey t1_iy4kpcn wrote

Nothing but admiration & respect for firefighters. I’m honesty, though, any “thin x line” flag illicits an initial feeling of “I defend my own despite any potential wrongdoing” instead of the intended spirit of it. That might just be me, though. That being said - I’ve never conflated thin red & thin blue together much.

derndy t1_iy4ec2w wrote

I don't think I would assume that, and I'd say the majority of people I know have positive feelings towards firefighters. I would say, though, that you might not want the association with the thin blue line image.

james4765 t1_iy4j2wf wrote

I've also seen the yellow line being used for towing and recovery types. I know the difference but not everyone does, and it's uncomfortably close to the apologetics for the worst of LE. Granted, it'll also make your life easier while dealing with those "bad apples", so... shrug

bmore_in_rva t1_iy5u1u7 wrote

As I understand it, the idea behind the "thin blue line" flag is that there's a "thin line" of police between society / civilization and chaos (which they presume would exist / rule in the absence of coercive force / threat from armed agents of the state). I'm not really sure what the thin red line is supposed to represent, other than maybe an attempt to associate firefighters with police. So, if the goal is to express a need for mental health support for or love of firefighters, I don't think a "thin red line" flag is conveying that meaning to me. Something more direct might better convey that message, if that's what you intend.

wagonboss t1_iy6aves wrote

All of the thin lines are supposed to be used for deaths within the service. That’s how it’s used exclusively amongst the fire service. But when police faced scrutiny, the pro police community turned it into a symbol and ruined it. And yes, I’ve seen that portrayal of the thin blue line too.

Edit: Addition