Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Charlesinrichmond t1_iuyl9ha wrote

I don't think electric car and street parking is a viable recipe for happiness I'm afraid

Hurlaroid OP t1_iuylf95 wrote

Poses an interesting problem though, In 10 years you will be hard pressed to find a vehicle that isn’t electric.

1151am t1_iuyrs3s wrote

!remind me in 10 years.

Joking aside, and not that I think I'm right and you're wrong, but people were saying the exact same thing in 2012 and here I am still driving my 1994 accord. I think you're a little too optimistic about the future.

needsexyboots t1_iuz71cr wrote

Maybe people just weren’t optimistic enough about 1994 Hondas

goodsam2 t1_iuzi6dj wrote

Electric cars are becoming rather popular and have been doubling and as long as battery price do decently they will expand rapidly.

−1

1151am t1_iv0iz7s wrote

I don't disagree with that. I have nothing against electric vehicles. I hope to be able to afford one one day.

My point was that people think electric vehicles will be the only vehicles soon, meanwhile they've been predicting that since the first Tesla left the factory doors. Add to that the fact that millions of people will never be able to afford even a used electric vehicle anytime soon.

in ten years, are electric vehicles going to be very popular, most likely selling more than gas vehicles? Definitely.

Are they going to be popular enough that we'll have street chargers for people living in the city? I highly doubt that will happen within the next 10 years.

goodsam2 t1_iv0ub5f wrote

I think it will happen in some places.

Electric cars have been doubling in production worldwide for awhile and are projected to be cheaper than new gas cars on initial price in the next few years. The batteries needed to cross the $100/KWH mark and they are at $120. Battery prices have been plummeting for decades and renewables when they are on are turning into basically free energy with how much they have plummeted in cost.

Right now it's hard to see but projections show this is peak demand of oil because 10% of new cars worldwide are electric. The US lags in the electric car market.

It's also in America the average purchase price for a new vehicle is $47k so price isn't as big of a concern in the aggregate so this has runway before it gets cheaper.

Hurlaroid OP t1_iuyupwu wrote

Idk man I was in Shanghai in 2019 and everything had gone electric, scooters to sedans. Most car manufacturers are looking to phase out gas power in the next 10 years at this point. We shall seeeeeee

−2

Charlesinrichmond t1_iuyxr4i wrote

Even if they do given that cars have a 10 to 20 year lifespan there will be a gazillion gas cars on the road still. Take a look and see if you can find any 2012 civics driving around right now...

Soloemilia t1_iv0qgc9 wrote

My 05 is going along just fine

Charlesinrichmond t1_iv1jh2l wrote

exactly. And I bet it will be going fine a decade from now. Don't get me wrong, I would like electric, but I expect I will be driving my Toyota truck for a good long time. And even when I sell it, someone else will be driving it.

leave alone the whole structural issue of chargers

lunar_unit t1_iuynbde wrote

Your post made me think of exactly this. There are millions of street-parked cars in every city across America that will eventually be replaced with EVs. How overnight charging for so many vehicles will be addressed is a huge question.

Charlesinrichmond t1_iuyxm8i wrote

Probably not in 10 years honestly but yeah it's a huge issue in cities

I don't see it really working until we have 10 minute charging or better

goodsam2 t1_iuzicyc wrote

I think trickle chargers in a couple of spots but the best way to be green is density and less personal motorized vehicles.

In Richmond this probably looks like living close to work and a grocery store and going to a 1 car household as a couple.

Edit: they did a study and the average American moving to NYC cuts their carbon emissions in half.

goodsam2 t1_iuzi2mg wrote

Disagree on 10 years gas cars last 15 years. They won't be selling basically any new gas cars but how to figure that out is probably hooking up to city power in those spots