Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bkemp1984Part2 t1_iwqzwxx wrote

Is there any reason a pickup is advantageous to law enforcement? You can't put suspects in the back (EDIT: as in the bed of the truck) and I'm gonna guess they aren't just tossing a couple rifles back there. Someone tell me they aren't just trying to look cool and (in most cases) manly....

Conductor_Mike t1_iwr327b wrote

They may have been seized and made in to police vehicles. They do that here in Texas.

ThrowRA99 t1_iwr5484 wrote

So the advantage is saving money in the budget? I don’t hate that. Figure you get more value out of using it long term than just auctioning it off. And you don’t need a cruiser to write tickets

bruxalle t1_iwr5ool wrote

Saving money is cool, stealing from people is not.

LostDefectivePearl t1_iwr5dyj wrote

Cow catchers on the front of cop cars are specifically dangerous and increase risk of death of struck pedestrians. Cops have them because they don’t care about killing civilians, they care about looking cool. So I would extend that and say yeah the trucks are probably just to look cool.

[deleted] t1_iwv7n7y wrote

[deleted]

LostDefectivePearl t1_iwv7xbu wrote

I know what they’re actually for. They’re supposed to provide structural support so that cops can crash into people when they’re performing dangerous and ill advised police chases. Someone ran away, rabid dogs run after

−1

[deleted] t1_iwv95kz wrote

[deleted]

−1

LostDefectivePearl t1_iwvacou wrote

[deleted] t1_iwvi40n wrote

[deleted]

nartarf t1_iwvo6ik wrote

Ya it’s like 3 a day cus nationally it’s around 1000 per year.

LostDefectivePearl t1_iwvrcv6 wrote

I assumed the government source that article sourced from and linked to would be too challenging for you, but here it is https://bjs.ojp.gov/library/publications/police-vehicle-pursuits-2012-2013

kneel_yung t1_iwr9n9w wrote

> You can't put suspects in the back

F150s can definitely have rear seating and a 4 door cab.

bkemp1984Part2 t1_iwrf0wu wrote

Sure, sure, I meant why the need for the bed in a police vehicle. I was also thinking there'd be reasons they wouldn't want to use a truck cab to haul folks unless they had to, but not sure.

kneel_yung t1_iwrgf8q wrote

oh yeah i see what you're saying. yeah idk they cant keep anything back there because people would steal it.

predicktable_x t1_iwrewgp wrote

It makes it easier for a bunch of cops to jump out of the back all at once to spray innocent civilians with pepper spray.

bkemp1984Part2 t1_iwrfiqk wrote

You know that stuff expires eventually, right? What are they supposed to do, let it go to waste without contacting a citizen's face!?