Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TripawdCorgi t1_ivsxw6x wrote

There's no way they're going to make that property, with the riverfront views it has a grocery store, sadly. I'm sure it will be condos. Best chance we have is a grocery store on the bottom and a parking deck, and I would be okay with that.

CopOnTheRun t1_ivt5u1c wrote

I visited a friend a couple years ago who lived in an apartment above a whole foods, the building's residents had their own private entrance to it. Since then I always thought it would be pretty awesome to live above a grocery store.

Tylerjb4 t1_ivu53e7 wrote

I’ve seen same idea with wegmans in nova

CopOnTheRun t1_ivu605b wrote

Yup this was the whole foods in Pentagon city, you could see the Pentagon from the roof. People can say what they want about Nova, but I dig their grocery store apartment complexes.

Tylerjb4 t1_ivuftu8 wrote

I would kill for them to put a wegmans in the diamond district

jbarrish OP t1_ivthbyw wrote

I think that's what Bruce mentioned. It NEEDS to happen and that's an ideal spot geographically. It's between Commerce and Cowardin so that offers easy access from north of the river. Semmes gives easy access to folks in Woodland Heights and Forest Hill and that's not counting all the thousands in Manchester and Blackwell desperately wanting one on Southside.

TripawdCorgi t1_ivu5mtz wrote

It should happen. So it probably won't. We don't get nice things.

VAtenkara t1_ivt4w0a wrote

Only briefly mentioned but Harwood Cochrane really did a number on old Manchester.

So much he tore down just cause he saw it as an eyesore instead of an opportunity. And now we have these useless parking lots.

Glad to hear that might change soon though

sleevieb t1_ivuttz9 wrote

> Harwood Cochrane

Never heard of this guy until now. Started a trucking company which he eventually sold for $1 billion in the late eighties.

Early_District_2796 t1_ivubdx1 wrote

Its mind blowing what he did, acting as an individual. I always wanted to meet him. He was self made billionaire, who never felt like he fit in around Richmond, because he didn't graduate from college.

zebra_c4kez t1_ivsznru wrote

I really really really really really really hope so.

10000Didgeridoos t1_ivt1fv8 wrote

I don't know if it's bots but I don't understand why this innocuous comment has been downvoted to -1.

panopticon31 t1_ivt1wwx wrote

I always wondered why that one block with the two tiny houses (one abandoned) next to it was completely undeveloped considering how every other empty lot in Manchester was being gobbled up.

bmore_in_rva t1_ivtchkw wrote

I don't know much about development, but it looks to me like they'll need some special use permits or zoning changes or something to go above four stories on 3 out 4 of the blocks (looks like only the existing office building block is RF-2, the rest are B-6 or R-63). Hopefully they'll want to go higher (if costar ends up being the buyer I think they would want to), so the neighborhood association might be able to bargain for a first-floor grocery store place as part of supporting that process.

I don't go to the Manchester Alliance meetings (I live in Blackwell, which is outside their zone), but people in old town manchester or industrial manchester could do so.

teknobable t1_ivttuj5 wrote

Hopefully Truist does something similar too. Right now we have two separate blocks occupied entirely by their parking lots. One of which I've never seen more than 5% full