Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Valyrian_Steelers t1_j1gcckj wrote

I didn't wanna make a new thread so I'll ask here and hope somebody replies...

How worried should I be about my pipes bursting? I'm a new home owner and I have to be out of the house over the holidays. I left my kitchen sink on drip, turned off the two spigots in the backyard but I don't have an accessible valve for the one in the front yard. I put insulation covers on all 3 before I left.

Edit forgot to mention my thermo is on ECO mode and it looks like it's keeping the house at 55F right now

systematical t1_j1gdpgf wrote

I'm worried. I read that leaving a faucet dripping can help reduce the chance since it keeps the water moving through the pipes. I left my kitchen sink slow dripping and my upstairs bathroom slow dripping.

I also decided to do a load in the dishwasher even though it wasn't quite full yet. I am hoping this helps and will prob take a shower before bed for good measure.

Valyrian_Steelers t1_j1jjt04 wrote

I was too worried and came back to check on the pipes. Everything looked good and I Googled how to turn off the water to my house so I don't have to worry anymore haha. I'm lucky the previous owners left their water key! Although they left it in the most strange place ever - the attic! You'd think it'd be in the garage!

guiltyofnothing t1_j1hhmsu wrote

Late to the party here, but if your pipes are in a crawl space — and that crawl space’s vents are covered and it’s properly insulated — you should be fine.

We kept the taps with any exterior-facing pipes on drip overnight for good measure but any well-insulated crawl space is gonna stay above freezing.

Valyrian_Steelers t1_j1jjjvv wrote

I turned off a house's water for the first time just now :). With the help of youtube haha. Proud to say the water is off and now I can go back and enjoy my Friendsmas

guiltyofnothing t1_j1jkyhl wrote

Ayyy. Just gird yourself for some weird sounds from your pipes when you turn it back on.

Charlesinrichmond t1_j1io7rl wrote

if you can adjust it, this isn't a good time/temp to keep your house on 55, because of thermoclines. I would only do that if your insulation is excellent and your are sure your pipes are not in the outside walls.

The power bill for a couple of days is nothing compared to the literally unlimited amounts of damage possible.

And always turn off your house main water supply when you go out of town in the winter. Summer too, but especially winter

Valyrian_Steelers t1_j1jjzbm wrote

Lesson learned!

I turned off a house's water for the first time just now :). With the help of youtube haha. Proud to say the water is off and now I can go back and enjoy my Friendsmas.

My heat pump couldn't keep up with the cold so now it's always running and keeping house 50 to 55 last night.