Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1ojzyo wrote

Figured both of you might be interested in this. I live over in Fulton and the first time I mowed my lawn, I took the grass clippings to the woods. I walk back and find this little man made stone pool in the woods. It’s a spring that filters thru Powhatan hill.

When I asked my landlord about it, he said that 40 years ago , when he was a kid, he went to dig out a retention pond because the woods were all marshy. When he started digging, he found the stone pool that someone else had dug sometime in the 1800s. I thought it was super cool.

picklingspice OP t1_j1otpjq wrote

This is extremely interesting can I know more?

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1ptnzj wrote

It’s on private property, so I can’t really divulge where it is or anything. What else did you want to know? I don’t know too much but could ask my landlord.

Only info I have is that it’s OLD. Their family owned the property before the civil war. Landlords mother (who is now in her upper 80s) didn’t know the pool was there until he found it and she spent her entire childhood living in that house. So I’d say the original pool was dug out 100 years ago at a minimum. I’ve had a buddy (R/Rva’s own Phat Wes) metal detect the yard and he’s found civil war bullets, and some railroad tokensZ JEB Stuart’s troops camped in this area during the war. Europeans met the Powhatan tribe for the first time on the hill. This areas wildly rich with history

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1q31dw wrote

https://preview.redd.it/umnxblx7ma8a1.png?width=1170&format=png&auto=webp&s=11d983a01c466789fc0fb6b3b08ee38827bff74d

This is the only photo I’ve got on my phone. Sorry it barely captures anything. If I get a chance, I’ll go out and take another pic soon.

picklingspice OP t1_j1qnmo6 wrote

That's as much as I need. Thanks for the info, this is very interesting and I appreciate the help a lot.

sleevieb t1_j1ompmo wrote

holy shit drop some coordinates whatsup

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1pu4vo wrote

Sorry but it’s on private property and I can’t give our coordinates.