Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Expensive_Barber680 t1_j1nwu4l wrote

I remember it. Used to be on the left side of Masonic when driving from Nine Mile, before the railroad tracks, I believe.

_sarten t1_j1ocv3l wrote

You are correct. It was on the hill there across from Transit Lumber and BMG right along the side of Masonic Lane. I believe it was capped because it was contaminated. There were signs saying not to drink before it went away.

picklingspice OP t1_j1otmzn wrote

thanks I guess this answers my question. I suppose that also means there's only one sign in the whole city saying "unsafe spring do not drink"

sloppyharp t1_j1pqx74 wrote

In Hanover, there was one marked unsafe alongside Ashcake Rd. north of Lewistown Rd.

Cartoons_and_CereaI t1_j1p3gxe wrote

I was about to say… this area is full of trucking and industrial business. Not my idea of a desirable spring.

wwojohn3 t1_j1o8w5i wrote

Is it a part of where Gillies Creek intersects there?

sleevieb t1_j1o3dsz wrote

Only working springs in the city are church hill and wayside in forest hill.

The architecture remains of the one at carter Jones park. Without knowing you might mistake it for a skatepark or foundation of a building.

There is a cage around the remaining infrastructure of a spring at the park adjacent to 95 near rays big burger.

I have an interest in the springs and never got any info about one out there and I lived near those roads. Would love to know anything you find out.

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1ojzyo wrote

Figured both of you might be interested in this. I live over in Fulton and the first time I mowed my lawn, I took the grass clippings to the woods. I walk back and find this little man made stone pool in the woods. It’s a spring that filters thru Powhatan hill.

When I asked my landlord about it, he said that 40 years ago , when he was a kid, he went to dig out a retention pond because the woods were all marshy. When he started digging, he found the stone pool that someone else had dug sometime in the 1800s. I thought it was super cool.

picklingspice OP t1_j1otpjq wrote

This is extremely interesting can I know more?

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1ptnzj wrote

It’s on private property, so I can’t really divulge where it is or anything. What else did you want to know? I don’t know too much but could ask my landlord.

Only info I have is that it’s OLD. Their family owned the property before the civil war. Landlords mother (who is now in her upper 80s) didn’t know the pool was there until he found it and she spent her entire childhood living in that house. So I’d say the original pool was dug out 100 years ago at a minimum. I’ve had a buddy (R/Rva’s own Phat Wes) metal detect the yard and he’s found civil war bullets, and some railroad tokensZ JEB Stuart’s troops camped in this area during the war. Europeans met the Powhatan tribe for the first time on the hill. This areas wildly rich with history

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1q31dw wrote

https://preview.redd.it/umnxblx7ma8a1.png?width=1170&format=png&auto=webp&s=11d983a01c466789fc0fb6b3b08ee38827bff74d

This is the only photo I’ve got on my phone. Sorry it barely captures anything. If I get a chance, I’ll go out and take another pic soon.

picklingspice OP t1_j1qnmo6 wrote

That's as much as I need. Thanks for the info, this is very interesting and I appreciate the help a lot.

sleevieb t1_j1ompmo wrote

holy shit drop some coordinates whatsup

SunEarthMoonYou t1_j1pu4vo wrote

Sorry but it’s on private property and I can’t give our coordinates.

picklingspice OP t1_j1o3ukd wrote

If you have an interest in springs we may get along...I've also found springs at the foot of the hill in Chimborazo near the dog park, as well as two springs in Byrd Park, one near dogwood dell and the other on the west side of Shields Lake. There's also (supposedly) one in the basement of the Byrd Theatre, but I'm not sure how I would get to that...I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything.

Utretch t1_j1o7b4t wrote

there's also the buttermilk spring I think over on southside.

picklingspice OP t1_j1o7w8o wrote

Can't believe I forgot Buttermilk, thank you. I probably forgot some others too lol

seaqueef t1_j1q1109 wrote

There's a lithium spring behind the nursing school at the boulders. Its gorgeous.

picklingspice OP t1_j1qnqy6 wrote

That one's still on the maps but I thought it was gone. Good to know it's still there.

Kindly_Boysenberry_7 t1_j1rhn2c wrote

That story about spring in basement of Byrd Theater is 100% accurate. Seen it with my own eyes 👀