Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

momthom427 t1_j06rij1 wrote

The phenomenal thing in my life is that after being separated, divorced, sending my two sons off to college, selling our family home, quitting my stable job, relocating to RVA, buying a tiny place of my own, starting a new job, and renovating my little place for over a year.. I am, for the first time in over two years, off work and happily puttering about my newly finished kitchen baking for my work team, new friends, and neighborhood pups I’ve come to know. So happy to welcome my kitchenaid mixer back into my life! And happy that though my life isn’t perfect, it sure feels like it compared to the last 7-8 years. I’m enormously grateful.

manyamile t1_j06fpd1 wrote

Omg it’s so beautiful right now. My entire downstairs is bathed in peaches and cream sunlight.

> what’s something phenomenal in your life

My new home. I’m so grateful to be here. Prior to this, I lived in a house for 20 years that was making everyone in my family unhealthy - physically and mentally. It’s been amazing to see the changes in everyone individually and as a family since we moved.

ChuckIT82 t1_j06p49y wrote

make sure you get those good good air filters if you have HVAC - i go MERV 11 / 12 - Nordic Pure - shit helps ALOT - change out once a month.

Chickenmoons t1_j06ti8z wrote

That’s a good way to shorten the life of your HVAC system.

I use air purifiers in my house and the lowest MERV filter I can for my heat pump. Unless your system is specifically designed for air filtration higher MERV rated filters make your unit work harder than it’s designed to.

ChuckIT82 t1_j06x52h wrote

no doubt, and i've read the risks involved with impeding airflow with a higher rated filter. but i appreciate the info :) always good to let others know the risks involved.

Chickenmoons t1_j06xxsu wrote

Totally fair. I’ve got an old system I’m hoping will get me through a few more winters so fingers crossed!

ChuckIT82 t1_j070pf6 wrote

now that i'm reading - I probably should lower my merv from 12 to 10 - my 2.5 ton unit in a 1200SQ house - .60 on static pressure max fan speed - merv12 typically - lower than .27 (merv13) - so i end up a bit around .40 on max pressure - for my 14x30 sized return - i think im good-ish - if that makes sense....

Chickenmoons t1_j071p44 wrote

I had a more aggressive filter but the first time I had an HVAC technician come look at my system he was adamant I use a lower rated filter. His point was the filter is just designed to keep debris from getting into the machinery itself not out of the air.

So I’ve got several HEPA filters running throughout my house instead. Not exactly as easy a solution as buying a higher rated MERV filter but certainly cheaper than a new HVAC system!

manyamile t1_j06sht9 wrote

I appreciate the recommendation. I’ll take a look at those.

SnarkMatter t1_j06lx99 wrote

I'm an RVA transplant, and if I'm honest, I've got a bit of a nomadic streak. But I'm proud to call this place home for now in large part due to the community I've found here.

Yesterday was a day. I found out I'm going to need surgery in the new year. I don't have family living locally which means I need someone to drive me to/from the procedure. I called a friend, who picked up immediately because they remembered that I had my consultation/appointment yesterday. I have a ride, and I know I'll be taken care of. That's phenomenal to me. Everyone deserves chosen family like that 💚.

Edits: (punctuation and clarity)

ChuckBS t1_j06i1bg wrote

It has been a whirlwind lately. I left my job of almost 3 years last Monday, went to NY to see family, now I’m home until my wife and I go to New Zealand next week. When I get back I start my new job. This is the first time in my adult life I’ve transitioned to another job in my field and mot been desperately trying to do so.

Danger-Moose t1_j06kg7t wrote

I'm not sure I'd come home from a week in New Zealand. Envious!

SnarkMatter t1_j06m5tm wrote

Best of luck! Enjoy NZ, what a fabulous trip before you have to go back to the working world again.

JamesBhand-007 t1_j06nkgk wrote

Man what a beautiful sunrise! It provided a great backdrop to my workout.

Work is going absolutely swell right now. I know it's trendy now for people to act like they don't give a shit about work. I am not that person. I like working and I like being good at my job. Luckily, I've been blessed enough to have always had decent bosses and work-life balance.

momthom427 t1_j06qbah wrote

I am happy to see someone else here who values and takes pride in their work. Congratulations on your work going well!

JamesBhand-007 t1_j06rt71 wrote

Thank you! The downside to having pride in my work is that I take shit personally sometimes lol How is work going for you?

momthom427 t1_j06txpj wrote

I do the same. I love 75% of my job which I can happily live with that percentage. My boss and my owner have high standards for our company, themselves, and for me. I respect that and it makes me want to do great work. I’m so grateful to work with solid people!

JamesBhand-007 t1_j07a3eu wrote

Yesss I love to hear that! What industry are you in? I work in Property Management.

Wa_wa_ouija t1_j06hsvc wrote

Right now, probably my friends. They are so excellent and I don't know what I would do without them.

I had the absolute best day ever on Monday fly fishing out near Waynesboro. I can feel myself really getting the itch to just do that on all of my weekends off lol. Trying to not let my adhd brain kick in and remember "moderation" ....

Also have a Holiday party on Friday I'm very excited for! Having a good week.

masonbrit t1_j06f0wo wrote

Just a random thought, anyone know what’s up with Chef Johnny? Haven’t seen him post around here for a while

ZephyrInfernum t1_j06h5ry wrote

No idea who that is, but I'm chef jamee and I got your covered! What you need?

Edit: whoa, just saw the other posts about him. I would like to clarify that I do not, in fact, have you covered. Wow, some people are monsters

DukePookums t1_j06l0vx wrote

Mighttttt not want to throw your name in with this guy

JamesBhand-007 t1_j06nqj7 wrote

I'm nosey! Spill the tea...

ETA- nvm! Just saw the r/rvadine post

catmmy50 t1_j07f1gx wrote

What kind of food do you do Chef Jamee

ZephyrInfernum t1_j07l97u wrote

Mostly franco-italian, but I do also make some killer Asian foods from various locations. Ramen is probably my best non-french dish.

ChuckIT82 t1_j06p87d wrote

he has a charges filed against him and a court case scheduled for some charges related to cp.

The_UnknownTA t1_j06pmgg wrote

I saw a post about him being a pedo and that he's headed for a 5 year minimum stint in jail

ZephyrInfernum t1_j06hafc wrote

Someone is supposed to come look at my car this morning and take her off my hands. It's going to be bittersweet if they end up buying her.

ActuallyAMenace t1_j06vv3c wrote

I don’t drink because of anxiety, but really enjoy the flavors of wine. One of my coworkers got me a bottle of non alcoholic rose as a Christmas gift and I’m still touched days later. I’m sewing up a Christmas present for her today

Supergirrl21 t1_j07alw6 wrote

Be careful opening! I opened a bottle of NA rose at a party and didn't notice the "sparkling" descriptor on the label--it exploded in my face! Entertaining for sure...

TheCheeseDevil t1_j06iuzj wrote

> The 4th Congressional District Committee will hold an unassembled caucus Tuesday, December 20, 6am to 7pm at the following locations: ● Brunswick Conference Center - 100 Athletic Field Rd, Lawrenceville, Virginia 23868 ● Dogtown Dance Studio - 109 W 15th St, Richmond, VA 23224

coconut_sorbet t1_j06srpg wrote

Wait weren't there a few more locations?

TheCheeseDevil t1_j06swwi wrote

You're right, their tweet was cut off! I despise twitter news releases.

>Brunswick Conference Center - 100 Athletic Field Rd, Lawrenceville, Virginia 23868 Dogtown Dance Studio - 109 W 15th St, Richmond, VA 23224 Diversity Richmond - 1407 Sherwood Ave, Richmond, VA 23220 IBEW Local 666 - 1390 E Nine Mile Rd, Highland Springs VA 23075 Tabernacle Baptist Church - 444 Halifax St, Petersburg, VA 23803

Horror-Fisherman-575 t1_j06sz0d wrote

My ability to procrastinate is phenomenal.

Should be baking cookies but have spent two hours reading about sumo wrestling instead. Fascinating.

Now I want some chanko and a nap.

Secret_n_safe t1_j07iord wrote

Haven’t started my Christmas shopping or done the dishes like I wrote on my list but I’ve read every comment on this thread so I got that going for me

Melodic_Apple_9504 t1_j06gtee wrote

My fiancé is home from a friends trip and now we get to snuggle in bed and watch stuff on the glowing box

BlizzardLizard555 t1_j06yond wrote

My life's not going so great right now. That being said what's phenomenal is the support I have from my sister's here and the few friends I do have.

GrayRVA t1_j06lrlg wrote

>What’s something phenomenal in your life right now?

Contrast that prompt with the one in my sad sack journal. I can’t stop reading these prompts in the passive agressive tone that u/Tripawdcorgi nailed last week.

TripawdCorgi t1_j06qqrs wrote

I'm telling you, a passive aggressive writing prompt journal might be your next venture. I have a whole family I would gladly give those to, maybe by the end they'll figure it out.

GrayRVA t1_j0732el wrote

Joint venture, my friend.

TripawdCorgi t1_j07ta0w wrote

I can come up with all the passive aggressive prompts you need, I have years of experience to pull from lol.

The_UnknownTA t1_j06qbwf wrote

Getting time off work allows me to do things I normally can't like cleaning my room (I'm almost done but it looks great with some new furniture) and cooking. I love Hispanic and Carib dishes! I'm looking forward to making Ponche de Creme for Christmas!

gamerthrowaway_ t1_j06xygx wrote

So it was weird last night, I showed up at game night (at 6pm) and evidently someone came in at 5:30, asked (with some name that none of us recognized) if it was game night to the new bartender (who was new that week), evidently went off on them when they didn't have a clear answer, and stormed out.

I have no idea who that person was.

> What's something phenomenal in your life right now?

I like my job function, my coworkers (in both technical and functional areas), and I like my house and family. Really, life isn't bad for me and that's phenomenal considering everything that's going on...

SnarkMatter t1_j083644 wrote

Huh, I missed that. Guess it was before I showed up. Weird.

[deleted] t1_j06oqbx wrote

[deleted]

momthom427 t1_j06qlrd wrote

Your time for..?

[deleted] t1_j06rp87 wrote

[deleted]

momthom427 t1_j06uydu wrote

Oh no. Do you need help with anything?

[deleted] t1_j06vj1r wrote

[deleted]

Stitchmond t1_j06tc06 wrote

Today is the 320th anniversary of the revenge of the 47 ronin. Let their story of honor, loyalty, sacrifice, and persistence inspire you today.

JosephFinn t1_j06wq82 wrote

It was interesting as a recent transplant from the Chicago area to wake up on December 14th and see my first frost of the year.

sneakablekilgore t1_j07ujq5 wrote

I transplanted from Chicago several years ago. You are going to LOVE winters here. The cold doesn't hurt your face!

JosephFinn t1_j091whm wrote

When we were back for Thanksgiving I did have a moment of, “Well, I don’t miss this wind off the lake!”

brat84 t1_j081dl1 wrote

My fiancé!

richmondriverrat t1_j089ltc wrote

Adulting has been hard. Work, buying a car and dealing with the DMV, finding a place to live before school starts in the spring, figuring out finances for school.

I just need someone to hold me

schmoopie76 t1_j08nd5f wrote

My son got into two colleges he really wants to go to. I am so proud, I was nervous he wouldn’t get in anywhere.

[deleted] t1_j06fj1o wrote

[removed]

Danger-Moose t1_j06ggog wrote

If you'd like to speak with the mods you can message us via modmail. In this case, the users posts were in the spam filter because they created a new account to post.

modest_mckenzie t1_j06h8qb wrote

I have an 8 year old account i used to post a lost dog that they deleted so ifdk

Danger-Moose t1_j06hf0p wrote

"They"

You have no karma in RVA. It goes to the spam filter. We try to catch them, but again... If you want to message the moderators there is an easy way to do so.

modest_mckenzie t1_j0917eo wrote

Thank you for clarifying. The next time I post to the community with something I think is helpful I'll be sure to clear it with mods.

Danger-Moose t1_j093y14 wrote

Don't bother.

modest_mckenzie t1_j09e5zp wrote

I wasn't being sarcastic.

You stated that because I don't have karma in the RVA subreddit that I will be auto removed from posting. This means I have to seek mod approval.

Your above comment implies that I will not be able to post anything now. Is that correct?

PlanktonOk4972 t1_j06hite wrote

There was a link up this morning that now says "Sorry, this post has been removed by the moderators of r/rva**" -** seem different than spam filter?

−3

PercyDovetonsils t1_j09sntq wrote

My wife had her wrist, that she broke Saturday night, surgically repaired today. She has screws and plates and stuff in it and it’s swollen, but she got a nerve block so she’s feeling no pain right now. It’s phenomenal to me that surgeons can actually do this. It’s also phenomenal that all of the staff were unfailingly nice to her. I could never be that nice all day.