Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chickenmoons t1_j06ti8z wrote

That’s a good way to shorten the life of your HVAC system.

I use air purifiers in my house and the lowest MERV filter I can for my heat pump. Unless your system is specifically designed for air filtration higher MERV rated filters make your unit work harder than it’s designed to.

ChuckIT82 t1_j06x52h wrote

no doubt, and i've read the risks involved with impeding airflow with a higher rated filter. but i appreciate the info :) always good to let others know the risks involved.

Chickenmoons t1_j06xxsu wrote

Totally fair. I’ve got an old system I’m hoping will get me through a few more winters so fingers crossed!

ChuckIT82 t1_j070pf6 wrote

now that i'm reading - I probably should lower my merv from 12 to 10 - my 2.5 ton unit in a 1200SQ house - .60 on static pressure max fan speed - merv12 typically - lower than .27 (merv13) - so i end up a bit around .40 on max pressure - for my 14x30 sized return - i think im good-ish - if that makes sense....

Chickenmoons t1_j071p44 wrote

I had a more aggressive filter but the first time I had an HVAC technician come look at my system he was adamant I use a lower rated filter. His point was the filter is just designed to keep debris from getting into the machinery itself not out of the air.

So I’ve got several HEPA filters running throughout my house instead. Not exactly as easy a solution as buying a higher rated MERV filter but certainly cheaper than a new HVAC system!